Microwave Seems to be on the Way Out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then we should all be clear on the subject of microwave safety. It's not nuclear and it doesn't cause cancer.

oops, i did a little research, and yous guys are probably right, but it's still unproven. microwaves, such as the type used in microwave ovens, are not the type that has been proven to cause cancer because they are non-ionizing. they do not carry enough localized energy to cause molecular damage. still, there have been no conclusive tests ruling it out, especially under conditions of repeated exposure over time.

that said, microwave oven radiation by itself is still dangerous, but just not in the terms of very small leaks. unless the nuker :) has been dropped, thus severly warping the door or making a large crack, it is most likely safe. some people have experimented by tripping the door safety, and turning the oven on with the door open, and found their flesh getting hot very quickly, and there has been permanent damage to soft vulnerable tissues such as the eyes.

Yeah, and speaking of the eyes, there once WAS talk that if you stood directly in front of a microwave oven while it's on, that you were in danger of getting cataracts on your eyes. But again, that was never really proven and has no basis in fact.

And yes buckytom, if the oven is dropped, you might as well consider it a divorce and just toss it out, since there is sure to be some irrepairable damage.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
geeze .... it's a matter of frequency (Hz) + power (W) + distance + duration of exposure ... this is well documented (IEEE) and regulated (FCC/OSHA - and I don't know who else).

Nuclear radiation is ionizing and will directly cause cellular DNA mutation and cause cancer within a few hours ... this is radiation from things like x-rays, gamma rays, etc. The exposure to this type of radiation is measured in rads, if I remember correctly.

Non-Ionizing radiation is from things below the atomic level - things like sunlight, tanning beds, and electromagnetic waves from radio, TV, radar, microwave ovens, electric power lines, cell phones etc. Depending on the exposure - it can cause cell damage which may lead to cancer or other problems. But, it doesn't cause the cell mutation in the same way as ionizing radiation.

To address Corey's concern about microwave radiation and cataracts - yes, it can happen. A friend of Dad's who was inspecting a radar installation one day went blind (from cataracts) within about a week ... some idiot turned the radar on while Willard was standing right in front of the dish.

Will using a microwave oven give you cataracts? Probably not - unless it is damaged and you stand with your face pressed up next to the door during the entire cooking period - and then probably only with multiple exposures.

There was also a concern some years ago for people with pacemakers and microwave ovens. Of course, there was also a potential problem with these same people using power tools. External electromagnetic fields could upset "electronics" in the pacemaker - either shutting it off or altering it's rate. Of course, these pacemakers were generally made of an expoy-resin ... and not shielded from EMR. Since "nuclear powered" pacemakers (Lithium batteries) which are shielded in metal are now common - it's not such a big deal.

I have to deal with this stuff as an Amateur Radio Operator all the time - trust me ... every time I want to play with a new antenna design, or change my power output, I have to go through a lot of calculations to make sure I am in compliance. There are equations, formulas, tables and forms.

Other supposed EMR sources of cancer, or other health problems, are living near high-tension power lines (mental retardation is some children), sleeping under an electric blanket (some cancers and infertility in some men), and using cell phones (brain cancer). There is no conclusive definitive scientific proof of any of these claims.

More or less, it's just those top health officials to seem to just know it all, yet they don't seem to know jack s**t.:rolleyes:

About the only thing they seem to be able to do and do it best is to badmouth products left and right, and when they do, usually that 6-letter word cancer is always mentioned. It just p***es me off the way they carry on with this stuff!:mad:

I sleep under an electric blanket, and like most everyone else, yes, I, also, use a cell phone. I just couldn't picture life without one. Those blasted pay phones are a ripoff! And microwave ovens will be around for many, years & years to come.:chef:

Yes and I did hear the supposed story before about pacemaker patients being near microwave ovens during use. As we all know, there IS sort of a metal screen built into the door's window so that the radiation from the microwaves can't escape into the room and cause danger or concern.:ermm:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I've replaced the old microwave oven with a brand new one.:ermm:

The other day, I went to wipe the front of it and the window cracked!! It still works though, but the fact that the door window is now cracked, I'm not having the door replaced on it because it will cost me more than the thing is worth to do it, so I went out yesterday to Sears for one.:)

I bought the Kenmore Toast-N-Wave unit. It's pretty big and poweful! Loaded with lots of features, bells & whistles!:chef:

The toaster is incredibly fast!:)

~Corey123.

Last edited:
You know, I once was having a conversation about authors and computers. One person said " XXXX would have never used a word processor or computer!!" I replied that he used state of the art for his time, why do you think he wouldn't have used state of the art if he lived today? Microwave ovens have their uses. I felt like I was one of the last people to own one (my mother bought me mine 20 years ago because she thought I was living in the dark ages!!). If you're careful with it, you can jump start many meals -- bringing foods up to warm temp to cut time off of a meal. I often heat potatoes until they are about 3/4 done, then cut and fry, or throw in a hot oven, or .... well, no one has ever known the difference. No, a microwaved potato won't taste like a baked one, if you do the cooking completely in the microwave. But you can often cut a half hour off of your cooking time by heating the food to temperature in the microwave, then cooking at high heat in/on your (stove, oven, carcoal grill). AND, here's where the microwave shines. I make huge amounts of food and freeze. Have you ever reheated bean or pea soup on the stove? How often have you thrown it away? Doesn't happen in the microwave. Perhaps you can cook fresh every single day. I make large meals and freeze. The microwave oven is a lifesaver. Hey, from what I see (I'm 50, my friends and family are pretty much dispersed younger and older than I) we're all going to have cancer sooner or later. I rather doubt the microwave oven has much to do with it.

Claire, one of my favorite uses of a microwave oven is to jumpstart a casserole. A lasagna that will take 45 to 60 minutes, can be ready is about 20 minutes using the microwave except for the last 5 or 6 minutes. It tastes like it was cooked the entire time in the oven. I want really good meals, but I don't want to live in the kitchen. We had to replace our microwave last week. I was making tea and an explosion sound came from inside. It was about 8 years old so dh said we'd just get another. He had to cut down the cabinet above and refinish it and cut new molding, but it looks great and works great also.He is truly a jack of all trades, well, most trades.

I don't use my microwave oven to literally cook anything in it except maybe vegetables.

But I DO use it to ASSIST in cooking for such things as softening or melting butter, softening hard brown sugar and boiling a cup of water for tea or instant coffee.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom