"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-31-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Microwave Seems to be on the Way Out.

My microwave oven seems to be on its way out.

It's a Panasonic and it's almost 13 years old now. It still works great, but when I try to open the door by pushing the door button, it gets stuck at times and won't open! I'm so afraid that one day when I go to warm up some food in there, that I might not be able to get the door open at all.

This could be a major disaster, as the food would start to spoil if I couldn't get the door open at all. Either I'm going to have to give it to someone or just junk it altogether. This, of coarse, after buying a new one.

I'm considering Panasonic again, since this one is by Panasonic, and it has lasted for almost 13 years. Do any of you have a Panasonic microwave oven that has served you well? Have you bought this brand recently and it has given you great service so far?

I have to make a decision soon. Maybe I'll give this one to the landlord's son, if he does not already have one down in the room where he has friends over after school to watch tv and play video games with him. He's always looking for things that I would no longer use if he thinks he can get some more milage out of them.

But I'm going to have to get one soon, and since I'm getting another one, i might just as well get one with a larger oven capacity and at least 1300 watts cooking power. Any suggestions, please? Thank you.

~Corey123.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

corey, is it a mechanical problem with the safety switch/door lever, or did you check to see if there's any sticky food around the door seal?
that happened to me once. some sticky food got in the seal, and i couldn't open the door; the leverage wasn't strong enough from the handle. so i was able to push the door open button and wedge the door open with my fingers, and it popped open. then i was able to clean it thoroughly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have a relatively new Panasonic microwave. It is about 2 years old. We are completely happy with it.

I wouldn't give yours to your landlords son. What if the door gets stuck on him and his food sits in their and spoils? Then you will have your landlord upset with you
Old 12-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Well, I just cleaned mine also, since I wrote this thread.

It did need cleaning very badly inside & out, and also, from it being in the kitchen in the first place, grease tends to fly everywhere, especially when you fry things a lot or now & then.

This grease, over time, sits on things and tends to harden, becomes very sticky if it is allowed to sit that long and attracts dirt & dust, making just plain hand dishwashing liquid impossible to get it off.

So I used the strongest cleaner I know of that I've have so much good luck with in getting rid of caked on grease & dirt. I used som Greased Lightening. It got rid of all that caked-on grease & dirt!
And I DID clean the areas and holes where the top & bottom latches engage to lock ther door, as well as the door seal itself.

I'll keep an eye out for that in the coming days to see if it made a difference. Thank you, buckytom, for your help!

Thanks also, GB! if I were to do that, I'd let the landlord & his son know about it first. He's only 14, but he's a wiz kid at certain things. I thought I might have seen one of those Sharp Half Pint microves down in his playroom.

But if any of you have appliances or countertops that have cake-up grease, try some Greased Lightening on them. It will just lift up all that dirt & grease and make things shine & sparkle! And BTW, I also use some of this cleaner to clean the K'Aid mixer as well. This stuff is very powerful!

The oven now looks as though I just bought it from the store. It's front door and control panel look very shiny now, and the cabinet is smooth and grease-free. No more stickiness! I also heard a grinding noise when opening & closing the door. A little bit of 3-in-1-oil took care of that, and now it appears as though the microwave has been given a new lease on life!!

The inside now looks brand spanking new & shiny! Maybe I can now get some more milage out of it after all!

~Corey 123.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 AM   #5
Master Chef

I've got a Panasonic that is a little over 10 years old - and the door sticks sometimes. A good cleaning solves the problem. My step-mom has one that is about 15 years old and she never has a problem - but she spritzes and cleans hers with Windex every time she uses it.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Mine seems to be ok now since I cleaned it over the weekend. And yes, the door seal as well, was cleaned. Might have been built-up sticky grease on the seal, causing the door to stick to it.

So it appears that the door opens with no problems now since it's been cleaned. But I also heard that, in time, the door seal could fail, become brittle & render the oven useless, prompting an immediate replacement oven.

It's well out of warranty, so if it were to bite the dust, I'm just going to replace it rathr than have it fixed because it wouldn't be worth it at this point. It would cost just as much to fix it as it would to just go out and buy
a new one.

~Corey123.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

corey, if you're worried about the seal, many hardware and electronic stores sell a microwave leak detector. they're pretty cheap.
while the nuker is on, you just hold the unit up to the microwave, and move it around the edges. if the needle doesn't move, you're good to go.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Mine just kicked the bucket completely after 12 plus years. I know we bought it when we got married back in 1993. Thankfully, Santa got us a new one for Christmas.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Yeah, I once had one that lights up if any leakage was detected.

You first had to put the thing in the oven next to a cup of water and the probe would light up. Then you leave the cup of water in there, take the thing out, turn the oven back on and cheack for leakage on the outside around the door.

There was none then. But I'll look around for something like that this week.

A few times in the past, the oven would come on when I opened the door!!!
It hasn't done that as of late. That used to happen with a microwave in the breakroom when I worked at United Airlines!! It was eventually thrown away.

Dina, Santa was good to you!

Corey123.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

I checked my Panasonic nuker, then ran down and checked Mom's - they do not have "seals" or "gaskets" on the doors. As long as the door is not warped, and closes securely, the "seal" should be fine.

Now, if the microwave operates when the door is open that is a totally different thing - either get the door-latch switch replaced or trash it (do not sell or give it away - TRASH IT).