"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #21
Sous Chef

i have the same exact one, just a little smaller. paid $40 for it at bed bath beyond, but had 20% off coupons.

ds thinks it chops (grinds) a little differently then the big cuisinart but it's fine with me.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
James, if you don't mind, could you check out the wattage of the motor and let me know? I think the only place you'll find it is on the base of the machine.
It's 250w. I actually expected it to be closer to the wattage of my food processor. Still, it seems like it has plenty of power. It still hasn't been tested on anything stronger than a bowl full of olives though.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, James.

I went shopping this afternoon and couldn't find the model you have. I did find a similar one at Costco for $25. It also has a 250 watt motor and a grind/chop feature, etc. It is not die cast.

I have to compare the details of the two to identify differences and similarities.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Cuisinart CH-4DC Elite Die Cast. See James post above for a picture. After reading and comparing. I decided this would be the best bet for me. I have had consistent good luck with Cuisinart. Most of my countertop appliances are made by them.

I don't expect to see it until the end of next week (free Super Saver shipping).

My thanks to all who took the time to help me out.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #25
Master Chef

I think that you will be very happy with the cuisanart mc...I've had mine for about 7-8 years and have used it a lot.......just be careful with the blades as they are very sharp and stay sharp!! Have fun with it!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
Senior Cook

I've enjoyed it so far. It's been used three times and no problems since I learned not to underestimate it.

I think you'll be glad you paid the little bit extra for the die cast. Not only is it really spiffy, it should be more durable (at least cosmetically) than the plastic.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #27
Executive Chef

I used to work with a fellow foodie. He was somewhat obsessive when it came to certain ideas. One day he decided that he liked eating duck so much he was going to surprise his wife by starting to shoot his own, and had visions of her pleased look at him having filled her refrigerator with fresh duck. As fall hunting season approached, he got everything written he could lay his hands on about guns and duck hunting. He studied every lunch hour and became an office authority on shotguns - if anyone was interested. He finally went to a large sporting goods store to buy his gun. He tried half a dozen at their indoor range but couldn't make up his mind. He went back the following week and after an agonizing decision, he bought a very nice shotgun with case and all the accessories. The following weekend he purchased his camo-gear and hunting license. By the time he got everything together, he headed out early one morning, full of enthusiasm, only to return early that afternoon with a ticket and heavy fine for duck hunting after the season had closed. He hid the gun and all of the gear from his wife, determined to try it again next year.

That spring while his wife was cleaning and preparing for a garage sale, she discovered his gun and equipment. She had never recalled him ever using them, so thinking they were no longer needed, sold everything at her garage sale for less than a fourth of what he had paid for them, and used the money to buy herself a couple of spring outfits.

With that event in mind, I went shopping for a food processor. Knowing that I wasn't going to be grinding a hand full of rocks into sand, or chipping 3" branches into mulch, or whipping 2 cups of cold honey into a froth, I spent about 45 seconds scanning the store shelf, comparing a few features among name brand units, made my purchase and haven't regretted it since. Some things just don't deserve an extraordinary amount of effort.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I used to work with a fellow foodie. He was somewhat obsessive when it came to certain ideas. One day he decided that he liked eating duck so much he was going to surprise his wife by starting to shoot his own, and had visions of her pleased look at him having filled her refrigerator with fresh duck. As fall hunting season approached, he got everything written he could lay his hands on about guns and duck hunting. He studied every lunch hour and became an office authority on shotguns - if anyone was interested. He finally went to a large sporting goods store to buy his gun. He tried half a dozen at their indoor range but couldn't make up his mind. He went back the following week and after an agonizing decision, he bought a very nice shotgun with case and all the accessories. The following weekend he purchased his camo-gear and hunting license. By the time he got everything together, he headed out early one morning, full of enthusiasm, only to return early that afternoon with a ticket and heavy fine for duck hunting after the season had closed. He hid the gun and all of the gear from his wife, determined to try it again next year.

That spring while his wife was cleaning and preparing for a garage sale, she discovered his gun and equipment. She had never recalled him ever using them, so thinking they were no longer needed, sold everything at her garage sale for less than a forth of he had paid for them, and used the money to buy herself a couple of spring outfits.

With that event in mind, I went shopping for a food processor. Knowing that I wasn't going to be grinding a hand full of rocks into sand, or chipping 3" branches into mulch, or whipping 2 cups of cold honey into a froth, I spent about 45 seconds scanning the store shelf, comparing a few features among name brand units, made my purchase and haven't regretted it since. Some things just shouldn't deserve that much effort.
You misspelled "fourth".
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You misspelled "fourth".
Thank you.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post

That spring while his wife was cleaning and preparing for a garage sale, she discovered his gun and equipment. She had never recalled him ever using them, so thinking they were no longer needed, sold everything at her garage sale for less than a fourth of what he had paid for them, and used the money to buy herself a couple of spring outfits.

With that event in mind, I went shopping for a food processor. Knowing that I wasn't going to be grinding a hand full of rocks into sand, or chipping 3" branches into mulch, or whipping 2 cups of cold honey into a froth, I spent about 45 seconds scanning the store shelf, comparing a few features among name brand units, made my purchase and haven't regretted it since. Some things just don't deserve an extraordinary amount of effort.
No one hunts duck for the ducks. I could buy a freezer full of pre-plucked and cleaned frozen ducks for way less effort and money than it takes to maintain two extremely well trained hunting dogs..and without the risk of biting into a piece of shot. Leasing land, maintaining a blind, getting up early and standing waist deep in near freezing water just to bring home the daily limit (which could be bought in the grocery for about eighteen dollars) is just a silly way to get meat. In the end, the meat is only a nice byproduct of all that goes into obtaining it.

For some of us, shopping for an appliance is as much fun as using it. The internet makes it easy to compare features, user reviews, warranties and the like. Wouldn't it be nice to know you could chip a 3" branch if the need ever occurred?