Mini Food Processor Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have the same exact one, just a little smaller. paid $40 for it at bed bath beyond, but had 20% off coupons.

ds thinks it chops (grinds) a little differently then the big cuisinart but it's fine with me.

James, if you don't mind, could you check out the wattage of the motor and let me know? I think the only place you'll find it is on the base of the machine.

It's 250w. I actually expected it to be closer to the wattage of my food processor. Still, it seems like it has plenty of power. It still hasn't been tested on anything stronger than a bowl full of olives though.

Thanks, James.

I went shopping this afternoon and couldn't find the model you have. I did find a similar one at Costco for $25. It also has a 250 watt motor and a grind/chop feature, etc. It is not die cast.

I have to compare the details of the two to identify differences and similarities.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Cuisinart CH-4DC Elite Die Cast. See James post above for a picture. After reading and comparing. I decided this would be the best bet for me. I have had consistent good luck with Cuisinart. Most of my countertop appliances are made by them.

I don't expect to see it until the end of next week (free Super Saver shipping).

My thanks to all who took the time to help me out.

I think that you will be very happy with the cuisanart mc...I've had mine for about 7-8 years and have used it a lot.......just be careful with the blades as they are very sharp and stay sharp!! Have fun with it!!

I've enjoyed it so far. It's been used three times and no problems since I learned not to underestimate it.

I think you'll be glad you paid the little bit extra for the die cast. Not only is it really spiffy, it should be more durable (at least cosmetically) than the plastic.

I used to work with a fellow foodie. He was somewhat obsessive when it came to certain ideas. One day he decided that he liked eating duck so much he was going to surprise his wife by starting to shoot his own, and had visions of her pleased look at him having filled her refrigerator with fresh duck. As fall hunting season approached, he got everything written he could lay his hands on about guns and duck hunting. He studied every lunch hour and became an office authority on shotguns - if anyone was interested. He finally went to a large sporting goods store to buy his gun. He tried half a dozen at their indoor range but couldn't make up his mind. He went back the following week and after an agonizing decision, he bought a very nice shotgun with case and all the accessories. The following weekend he purchased his camo-gear and hunting license. By the time he got everything together, he headed out early one morning, full of enthusiasm, only to return early that afternoon with a ticket and heavy fine for duck hunting after the season had closed. He hid the gun and all of the gear from his wife, determined to try it again next year.

That spring while his wife was cleaning and preparing for a garage sale, she discovered his gun and equipment. She had never recalled him ever using them, so thinking they were no longer needed, sold everything at her garage sale for less than a fourth of what he had paid for them, and used the money to buy herself a couple of spring outfits.

With that event in mind, I went shopping for a food processor. Knowing that I wasn't going to be grinding a hand full of rocks into sand, or chipping 3" branches into mulch, or whipping 2 cups of cold honey into a froth, I spent about 45 seconds scanning the store shelf, comparing a few features among name brand units, made my purchase and haven't regretted it since. Some things just don't deserve an extraordinary amount of effort.

Last edited:
I used to work with a fellow foodie. He was somewhat obsessive when it came to certain ideas. One day he decided that he liked eating duck so much he was going to surprise his wife by starting to shoot his own, and had visions of her pleased look at him having filled her refrigerator with fresh duck. As fall hunting season approached, he got everything written he could lay his hands on about guns and duck hunting. He studied every lunch hour and became an office authority on shotguns - if anyone was interested. He finally went to a large sporting goods store to buy his gun. He tried half a dozen at their indoor range but couldn't make up his mind. He went back the following week and after an agonizing decision, he bought a very nice shotgun with case and all the accessories. The following weekend he purchased his camo-gear and hunting license. By the time he got everything together, he headed out early one morning, full of enthusiasm, only to return early that afternoon with a ticket and heavy fine for duck hunting after the season had closed. He hid the gun and all of the gear from his wife, determined to try it again next year.

That spring while his wife was cleaning and preparing for a garage sale, she discovered his gun and equipment. She had never recalled him ever using them, so thinking they were no longer needed, sold everything at her garage sale for less than a forth of he had paid for them, and used the money to buy herself a couple of spring outfits.

With that event in mind, I went shopping for a food processor. Knowing that I wasn't going to be grinding a hand full of rocks into sand, or chipping 3" branches into mulch, or whipping 2 cups of cold honey into a froth, I spent about 45 seconds scanning the store shelf, comparing a few features among name brand units, made my purchase and haven't regretted it since. Some things just shouldn't deserve that much effort.

You misspelled "fourth".

That spring while his wife was cleaning and preparing for a garage sale, she discovered his gun and equipment. She had never recalled him ever using them, so thinking they were no longer needed, sold everything at her garage sale for less than a fourth of what he had paid for them, and used the money to buy herself a couple of spring outfits.

With that event in mind, I went shopping for a food processor. Knowing that I wasn't going to be grinding a hand full of rocks into sand, or chipping 3" branches into mulch, or whipping 2 cups of cold honey into a froth, I spent about 45 seconds scanning the store shelf, comparing a few features among name brand units, made my purchase and haven't regretted it since. Some things just don't deserve an extraordinary amount of effort.

No one hunts duck for the ducks. I could buy a freezer full of pre-plucked and cleaned frozen ducks for way less effort and money than it takes to maintain two extremely well trained hunting dogs..and without the risk of biting into a piece of shot. Leasing land, maintaining a blind, getting up early and standing waist deep in near freezing water just to bring home the daily limit (which could be bought in the grocery for about eighteen dollars) is just a silly way to get meat. In the end, the meat is only a nice byproduct of all that goes into obtaining it.

For some of us, shopping for an appliance is as much fun as using it. The internet makes it easy to compare features, user reviews, warranties and the like. Wouldn't it be nice to know you could chip a 3" branch if the need ever occurred?

Your tale is about as credible as Garrison Keillor's spiel, to wit:

An indoor range for trying out a waterfowling gun, patterned to kill at 40 to 60 yards , ie a 400 foot indoor range?

Ya can't hunt ducks with just a hunting license, to be legal you also have to buy a federal migratory game stamp.

It's brushed, not chromed. I have a feeling the base will still be looking decent when the mechanics inevitably give out....probably after chipping a 3" branch.

In writing a light-hearted commentary about the amount of trouble some people go to, to reach a simple goal has someone upset, Maybe he empathizes with the obsessive behavior I characterized. I don't know. But several of the details in the story where called into question. One of the details was over the acquiring a hunting license to hunt ducks. Not that it makes the slightest scrap of difference, but he emphatically objects to me not having specified that duck hunting also requires the acquisition of a "federal migratory game stamp!" I'm not a duck hunter, so that detail is lost on me, and wouldn't have found it's way into the story even if I knew. I am a trout fishermen, but when I'm asked whether or not I have a fishing license, I either simply say, "Yes", or "Yes, I have a fishing license." Just because I fish for trout in waters that border two states and opt to get a "Border lakes Endorsement", and am also required to purchase a "trout stamp" doesn't mean that if I'm asked if I have a fishing license I'm going to respond, "Yes, I have a proper state fish and game issued fishing license with a border lakes fishing endorsement that also includes a trout fishing authorization stamp." I'd probably run out of breath before getting all of that out at one shot!

What difference does it make!?

"Whoosh...." That's the sound of the point of the story passing over the head of certain people. You'd better duck! Oh, and while you're down there, you might want to reconsider your overblown sense of importance before you call someone a liar over details that are so insignificant that they could have been left out entirely and not altered the meaning of the story one iota. And ruining a light-hearted story that, if you didn't like it... pass it by and get on with your life, rather than be a curmudgeon and unnecessarily cause trouble.

In writing a light-hearted commentary about the amount of trouble some people go to, to reach a simple goal has someone upset...

I didn't see this as a light hearted commentary.

It was clear to me you thought we were being ridiculous going into so much detail over a purchase and that you didn't approve.

I don't need your commentary, light-hearted or otherwise on how I choose to live my life.

OK guys can we please get back on track now? We don't need to bicker over this. Lets move on shall we?

I think this may be a good time for me to get out my delightful soapbox again.

Text is a lousy conveyor of emotional context. Often the emotion you read into a written reply is not the emotion of the poster but rather a reflection of what you yourself are feeling at the time of reading.

Ok, I'm off my box now. I will expand.

When I tease my car buddies about their obsessions about cars they roll their eyes and call me some derogatory name and call into question my sexuality. I laugh and then either move on or reply in kind. They do not feel that I have belittled them in any way because they see the bigger picture. Our differences are outweighed by our things in common.

We are on here because we have a love of cooking. We have this amazing thing in common. We understand the idea of painting with flavors. The concept of love shown through effort is something we all embrace.

If we took Devinci and Dali and put them in a room together (and magically made Devinci aware of Dali's work) they would revel in the artistry of each other. If left for a while, long enough to agree to disagree they may even make it to the point to tease each other about the varying differences of technique. Would these differences in technique cause them to escalate the teasing to a darker form? Only if they are not confident in their own choices.

I took Selkie's post as a little good natured teasing. I doubt that it was an attack as I have read Selkie's posts around the forum and have found her to be humorous and informative. Seldom have I seen her be aserbic.

Andy is one of my favorites here. Alway encouraging. Always informative.

I think this was a mistake in the reading. Please do not let a misunderstanding color the future interaction of two people I see as a tremendous assets to this forum.

XXXOOO
BigD

I need a FP also and the one talked about seems pretty nice for a small unit.

Can the 2 of you who have them now review them a little more? The first review was pretty good just looking for a little more info.

Thanks

NAchef, my FP arrived today and I used it to make some calamata olive hummus. The same thing I made that was such an issue with my old FP.

It worked great! It processed the ingredients efficiently and had no problem pulling the food down into the path of the blades so all food was chopped quickly and uniformly. It performed the task much better than the old one. I realize this is a limited experience but I recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom