Mixer type and size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JProaster

Assistant Cook
Greetings folks. I'm looking to buy a Hobart, KA or whatever mixer to make pastries and desserts in a small coffeehouse. I've bought a 26 cu ft dual zone bakery case for my shop. I need to know what size mixer to purchase. Space is definitely limited in my kitchen. I've seen lots of 20qt Hobarts on ebay, but they seem large.

Need help soon. Thanks.

John

Kitchen size is 10x16

There's a triple sink, prep sink, 8ft stainless table, single door freezer, 40 in wide merchandiser, 1/2 sheet Blodgett conv oven and 14 in panini grill to go in there.

I believe all the items above will go in- well it does on paper anyway. The kitchen's uses will be for baking, easy to make breakfast sandwiches w/ panini, and hoping to manage panini, soup and salad for lunch, etc.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm learning as I go.

BTW, I'm looking for suggestions on a small proofer as well. I understand some are mobile. Insulated vs non-insulated? How to choose info would be helpful.

Thanks.
John

A 20-quart counter top mixer should give you maximum flexibility and still be large enough to do production preparation and yet not be too large to be in the way. Whatever you do, do not get the Kitchenaid. I had one and found it far too inconvenient to do any commercial work.

Linda
www.LindasGourmetCookies.com

There's also the Hobart N-50 commercial mixer, but that's only a 5-qt. capacity bowl. Similar to the bowl that's on my K'Aid K5SS Stand Mixer.:ermm:

Please make sure that you get a written guarrentee from Ebay, or else look elsewhere. They've been known to rob people. I heard that a woman was ripped off for a wedding gown that she paid $2,000.00 for! It's been said that she paid the money, but didn't get the gown.:ROFLMAO:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
JProaster said:
I've seen lots of 20qt Hobarts on ebay, but they seem large.

Yep John, the larger the capacity of the mixer the larger it will be physically. Here is a site where you can get info on the sizes (footprint and height) and weights of the different Hobart mixers.

The 5-qt (N-50) weighs about 55-lbs and UPS may (probably will) deliver that - but the 20 and 30 qt models are 214 and 336 lbs, respectively, and will be shipped via commercial carrier (freight truck) and they don't unload for you, and the delivery truck may not have a lift gate on the back. You will be responsible for unloading it out of the back of the truck when it arrives.

Before you bid on one on eBay - be sure to check the "shipping" info. Some are "pick up in person only" - and some will cost you more for shipping and handeling than you paid for the mixer! I don't know where you live, but check the for sale ads in your local newspaper - and check out a restaurant supply store in your area (many deal in used equipment) and they can make arrangements for delivery where you don't have a loading dock and forklift.

Thank you all for the tips. I saw a 20 qt today; it's too big. I can't seem to find a 12 qt used and $3500 for new is insane at this time. So, I'll keep looking and probably settle for a 5-6 qt to get started. I need it very soon.

I also still need a good word about small proofers. Good chance that I'll have to move it about.

Thanks,
John

I have never heard of Doyon - but I did find the Doyon Homepage which should be able to answer all of your questions about all of their products (such as the footprint sizes) ... other than user reviews. They have quite an impressive line of bakery equipment - including proofers and proofer/retarders in all sizes.

Although they are not rated for heavy commercial use - due to economics (start-up costs), a lot of new establishments start out with a KA-6 (6-qt) Pro model (about $400) instead of a new Hobart N-50 (5-qt) which runs about $1,600. Many never feel they need to upgrade unless they are going to a larger capacity mixer.

Thank you Michael. I'll take that word into consideration. Guess we gotta do what we gotta do.

John

Michael,
Just informed that a used Thunderbird is available- 10 qt. I've not seen it, but he says $400 takes it. It's local too.

John

Back
Top Bottom