My countdown to the Sous Vide Supreme!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a "take pouches out of the freezer and put them in the machine at 5:00am and have dinner plated and ready for 7:00pm"scenario would the machine have enough time to thaw, then fully cook the entrees?

Hi, Forty Cal. It just so happens that I got an e-mail from SVS with some tips. I'll quote a short section of the newsletter concerning cooking from frozen:

There are two ways of using your freezer to save you time.
OPTION 1: Cook - Chill - Freeze - Reheat

1. Season and vacuum seal batches of foods that cook at the same temperature and cook them all together to save time. (Beef, lamb, and pork together at 134F/56.5C to 140F/60C; white meat chicken or turkey together at 146F/63.5C; dark meat chicken or turkey together at 176F/80C.)

2. When they've finished cooking, quick chill the pouches in an ice water bath (half ice/half water) for at least 30 to 45 minutes.

3. Label with contents and date and freeze for up to one year.

4. Reheat the cooked food from thawed or frozen in the SousVide Supreme at the cooking temperature for 45 minutes per inch of thickness. (Allow an additional 30 minutes if cooking from frozen.)

5. Sauce or sear the food, as usual, if desired.

OPTION 2: Freeze - Cook

1. Season and vacuum seal individual portions of meat, poultry, game, fish or seafood.

2. Label with contents and date and freeze the pouches, uncooked, for use up to 6 weeks.

3. Cook from thawed or frozen in the SousVide Supreme at the ideal (desired) cooking temperature, adding 30 minutes to the cooking time to allow for thawing in the water bath if cooking from frozen.

4. Sauce or sear the food, as usual, if desired.
Another helpful hint: Different types of previously cooked foods in pouches can be reheated at the same time in the water oven, even though they might have cooked at different temperatures originally. For instance, vegetables that cooked at 183F/84C can reheat in the water bath with meat that cooked (or is cooking) at 134F/56.5C. Always select the lower of the ideal cooking temperatures to reheat different types of food together, in this example, set the temperature to 134F/56.5C.

Hi, Forty Cal. It just so happens that I got an e-mail from SVS with some tips. I'll quote a short section of the newsletter concerning cooking from frozen:

"OPTION 2: Freeze - Cook"...

Another helpful hint: Different types of previously cooked foods in pouches can be reheated at the same time in the water oven, even though they might have cooked at different temperatures originally. For instance, vegetables that cooked at 183F/84C can reheat in the water bath with meat that cooked (or is cooking) at 134F/56.5C. Always select the lower of the ideal cooking temperatures to reheat different types of food together, in this example, set the temperature to 134F/56.5C.

That's great news! This method of cooking to most of us I'm sure. It seems like everyone is so busy these days. This could be a great way to keep our hectic schedules and still serve truly fantastic food.

Keep me posted. VERY interesting topic.

I would but I got impatient!:ROFLMAO: It was sitting on my -5 degree F steps when I got home from class, so I brought it in and let it warm up while I went to work. Once I got home I ripped everything open and filled it with water. While it was heating I broke out the included vacuum sealer. Pretty much like a Foodsaver; if you've used one of those you don't even need to look at the instructions. So I seasoned two fairly thick 8-10 oz top sirloins with Montreal Steak Seasoning and tossed them in a bag with 2 chunks of butter and sealed it up. Into the 133 degree water bath they went, with the timer set for 1 hr 30 minutes. Yeah, probably on the high side of how long it requires but I'm going by the included booklet, not Baldwin's book, for starters.

Now I can jump in the shower and chill for awhile. My Iwatani torch is ready to go if I choose to brown them with that. But I may use a hot pan, I just haven't decided. I do have some baby 'bella mushrooms that I will sautee in butter, and I plan to hit 'em with some wine and stock from the cooking pouch.

I'll try to snap some pics but I'm pretty hungry!:ROFLMAO:

Wow! An hour into the cooking I tested the temp of the SVS bath in several places with two different Thermopen K-type thermocouples...all the readings are dead on! Very impressive temperature regulation. Of course, I've just got a couple steaks in there (not a big load) but for this purpose convection is just fine. Temps are very, very stable.

Another 1/2 hour and I will sear my steak and dig in!:chef:

I just saw the pics in the other thread. I was wondering if you added anything to the vac bag.
Nifty little saga to follow.

So when I cook my steak I usually shoot for bouncing it off the grill to keep it from getting overdone (I like mine rare enough a good vet should be able to save it). Wonder how long (short) mine would take. :LOL:

So when I cook my steak I usually shoot for bouncing it off the grill to keep it from getting overdone (I like mine rare enough a good vet should be able to save it). Wonder how long (short) mine would take. :LOL:

Frank, In love my beef rare also. Hubby once told the neighber If he saw me in his field with a knife and a cigarette Lighter to be concerned.:LOL:
This machine is so tempting. Trying to be good. :ermm:

Josie

If you saw my pics you'll see the steak was pretty nicely rare to medium rare...after almost 2 hours in the water!

Back
Top Bottom