My First Food-processor: Caring for one's blades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I've recently bought my first food processor. I'm wondering about the blades. I would like to use the grater blade to grate some potatoes but I'm concerned about the blunting of the blades (since I'll be doing this a lot now that it's gotten so easy). Should I par-boil them for a few minutes to make them softer? Are replacement blades easy to acquire from manufacturers in your experience? Do the blades ever even need replacing?

Don't be afraid to use the blades. They will last a long time and are easily replaceable if they become ineffective.

You won't get the same result if you parboil before shredding.

Congratulations on getting a new food processor. Now don't be afraid to use it. Those blades are not just sharp, they are tough, and made to be used. I just made breakfast for eighteen on New Years' Day...grated three+ pounds of spuds for hash browns in less than a minute! (I used my old Cuis' dlc 8 with the side chute instead of the work bowl).

Just a word of caution, do not use for ice chopping, it could damage the blade. I haven't done that but it is in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom