"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
Master Chef
I had to buy a new range in a hurry (two weeks before Thanksgiving, company coming, and a seven-year-old stove went *pfttt*) and thought a glass top would be good. Wish I had time...and had checked the budget better to know I could have bought better. Anyway, I've spent the last three years trying to find something that would clean it all...including the grease that jumps the frypan and glues itself just at the edge of the burner area. After four(!) products I used the Bar Keepers Friend cooktop cleaner - the creamy kind in the bottle. Voila! Except for a couple little pits (maybe from sugar? but just below the surface are tiny bubbles all over the glass top...it's the way the glass surface was made) the top looks like it has never been used. I can't recommend that product strongly enough...or at least for my cooking surface. Good Luck!

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Hmm, I thought you weren't supposed to use anything but the ceramic cooktop cleaner. I will try the ME though. Mine has a few spots that are stubborn.
I will try the ME, too. Even though this funky cleaning pad scares me to death...

The first time I tried it was on a door knob and the grime that builds around it. It freakin' works like its namesake! But it also stripped the satin finish off the wood. I spent the rest of an unfortunate afternoon using the ME to wipe down a perfectly good door just to give it a consistent (now) flat finish. By the end, the ME pad had shrunk and shriveled to a hard putty the size of Mr. Clean's eyeball. I.. do not want to know.. what "Magic Eraser" is made of...

The absolute last thing you want to use to clean the glass top of a ceramic stove is any abrasive, whether it's the detergent or the scrub pad. Glass easily scratches. Go ahead and try Goo Gone, remembering to allow its foam to soak. I use it for my outdoor grills, notoriously hard to clean.

spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef
razor blade scraper for big chunks. there is a glass top stove cleaner/polish sold in hardware stores and places like Lowes etc. Barkeeper's Friend works and there are now other glass top cleaners out there.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote