My KA5 mixer died!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
As I was mixing the batter for my Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake, my mixer just stopped! At first, I thought maybe the old breakers in the house had tripped, but, we have the screw-in type fuses. I plugged my coffee maker into the same outlet, and it worked. There's no breaker on the kitchen outlets between the two plugs, so it didn't need to be reset. I put my hand on the motor housing, and it wasn't hot. After a few minutes, I moved the mixer over to another outlet, plugged it in, and it worked! I moved it back to where I had it, and it worked as well, for about 5 minutes. Luckily, I was able to get all my creaming done for the cake batter before the mixer bit the dust. I finished mixing the batter by hand.

I'm thinking it's just a short or loose wire. Hopefully, it's easily fixed, as I don't want to flip out $$$$$$ for a new mixer right now. I may have to get one of those little handheld jobbies :angry:

AllenMI said:
As I was mixing the batter for my Banana Oatmeal Crumb Cake, my mixer just stopped! At first, I thought maybe the old breakers in the house had tripped, but, we have the screw-in type fuses. I plugged my coffee maker into the same outlet, and it worked. There's no breaker on the kitchen outlets between the two plugs, so it didn't need to be reset. I put my hand on the motor housing, and it wasn't hot. After a few minutes, I moved the mixer over to another outlet, plugged it in, and it worked! I moved it back to where I had it, and it worked as well, for about 5 minutes. Luckily, I was able to get all my creaming done for the cake batter before the mixer bit the dust. I finished mixing the batter by hand.

I'm thinking it's just a short or loose wire. Hopefully, it's easily fixed, as I don't want to flip out $$$$$$ for a new mixer right now. I may have to get one of those little handheld jobbies :angry:

Oh Allen!!!! My heart is bleeding for you. Don't buy a new mixer.

Walk, don't run to your nearest Hobart dealer. They can fix your mixer. http://www.hobartcorp.com/hobartg5/co/corporate.nsf/pages/contact-us_locate-es

Don't bury your mixer before you know it is dead, but if you decide to replace it....send me the dead carcass.

A problem like you described can usually be fixed for around $80.00, which is considerably less than what you would pay for a new KitchenAid mixer. Follow Chocolatechef's recommendations, and service the machine. They will go over the unit thoroughly. Also, while you're there, take a look at some of the used food service Hobarts they may have there. I am sure you'll be in for a treat!

MrCoffe

(Gosh, if I only could have had the cash for that A-120)

Allen - KA mixers have a built-in "overload" circuit breaker. If your mixing something and the mixer stops, you turn it off and allow it to sit for a few minutes, and turn it back on and it works - that was the problem. After the mixer sits for a while the circuit breaker automatically resets itself. Don't know what what your recipe was but it sure sounds like that was your problem.

If you bought your KA new, it could be that the circuit breaker was just "weak" to begin with. If you bought it used ... it could be that the previous owner was trying to mix some heavy loads and tripped the breaker a few times, which weakens it and causes it to trip at lower than normal stress levels.

I would agree - get it repaired instead of tossing it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom