My oven stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurChef

Assistant Cook
I have a question regarding the oven on my stove. It is a traditional stove with four four eyes and oven. The eyes on the stove top all work, so at least that is still going, but the oven does not heat any longer. The light indicating that the oven is turning on works, but the heating elements don't warm up.

I've been told that it may just be the heating element, but how can I be sure? If it isn't the heating element what else might be wrong with it?

Thanks.

It could be a fuse. Is there a panel behind the burners? Does it lift up? That's where I have seen fuses on a stove.

When my (gas) oven fails (twice so far) it's a controller thingy that monitors temperature and turns the flame on and off to maintain the setting.

I'm assuming you have an electric oven with two heating elements inside. I have had heating elements go out before, but it would seem unusual for them both to go out at the same time. It could happen, but just unlikely. I would look into other electrical problems.

If the broiler element works and not the bottom one, then chances are good that it is your heating element. You need a new one. If both are not working, check the fuse or your electrical box. :angel:

The short answer is there's no way of knowing for sure until you have an expert tell you in person after testing your oven. DIY has limitations to be sure.

Last edited:
I am assuming that your stove and oven are both electric. If the top cooking elements heat properly, you have electrical power to the stove. Find the fuse, circuit breaker or "reset" button and verify the fuse is not blown (replace it if it is), the circuit breaker is not tripped (re-set it if it is) and/or the "reset" button has not popped out (press it in anyway!).

If all that has been done and the oven still does not heat, test the heating element(s) (LINK to instructions).

If the heating element(s) are good, that leaves either the oven control or a circuit board, for which it might be wise to have a professional take a look.

Good luck!

Wiley

Last edited:
I've been wrestling with built-in electric oven problems for a few years and am still concerned that the stone insert may be putting an undue strain on our 52 year old oven. However the stone certainly produces better breads.
After replacing the bake element and determining that a new thermostat is no longer available, I investigated buying a replacement oven at a minimum cost of $1,000.
The existing oven's interior is 21"W x 15 3/4"H x 17"D and the cabinet cutout is 24 1/8"W x 24"H x 24"D. A comperably dimensioned oven does not appear to be available.
Hopefully the replacement of the fried 240V/30A DP Bulldog Pushmatic circuit breaker will give our oven a new life.
I checked the cycling of our oven this morning and the heating element comes on for about 1.5 minutes every 32 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom