"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 05-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Need a flat, shallow, electric skillet for roti.

Hi, I need to buy a replacement appliance for my Mom. I've searched everywhere, but can't seem to find something close to what she has now. Here are the features of the grill or skillet (I'm not sure what it's officially called):
  • electric, i.e. plugs directly into an outlet
  • 1650 Watts (seems high to me, but that's what is says)
  • round (not oval)
  • 15 inches in diameter
  • flat and shallow (3/4 inch depth)
  • two handles
The one she has is raised and doesn't sit directly on the countertop, but I assume that any 1600W appliance would be properly insulated. Also, she uses it to make roti (very tasty flat round Indian style bread), if that helps.

The size, shape, and depth are all critical and that's what I can't seem to match in the new appliances I've seen. If anyone knows of a grill that comes close to having the features listed above, please let me know.

Feel free to reply to this post or email me directly.
Thanks in advance,

max0300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Master Chef
Hi Max - welcome to DiscussCooking!

It sounds like what you are looking for is an electric Lefse grill/griddle. I know, roti is Indian and lefse is Norwegian ... but I don't think the griddle will know the difference.

Here is one site that has them ... Creative Kitchen (scroll down a bit to see the griddles sold seperately from the kits). Google list has several sources - but they all seem to be from the same maker - the only real difference being source, price and shipping charges.

Hope this helps!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
The Lefse grill seems to be exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you very much!!

P.S. I think I'm going to have to try lefse now :)
max0300 is offline   Reply With Quote