"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Nine seems like a good size. Seven seems too close to four, which is a mini size.

I didn't know they can shred cheese, Suzi. I thought maybe cheese would be too soft. I buy blocks anyway and use a cheese grater, but that could be handy doing the whole block at once.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I'm in the office now and can say more (Y'all can groan now! ). This is all from my reading the manual and studying, but, here goes.

Discs - these things can make slices of whatever you put down the feed tube. Cool idea once you have sliced a Cucumber of Zucchini, stack all the slices up and drop them rotated 90 degrees - Julianne happens. Discs come in three thicknesses 2 mm, 4 mm, and 6 MM. Want be English measure? 2 mm is "roughly 1/16", so we go about 1/16, 1/8, and about 1/4, unless I messed up the math. The same thicknesses are offered in shredding. There is also an ice shaver disc.

Dough blade - I have seen quite a few bread recopies that use a food processor in the making of the dough. I'll stay with my mixer on this one, because the Food processor only has on, off and pulse.

Chopper blade - this one sits a bit off the floor of the bowl and does just what it says it does. I agree with everyone that has said that a blender liquefies better. The point is, if you want chunky instead of liquid, this is the tool for you.

The mini bowl is a great idea, in that it handles the small quantity nicely. With this feature, you get the 12 cup for the big stuff and slicing and shredding, plus the choice of a large or small bowl for chopping.

I hope this isn't dumb. If you have a FP this is old hat, If you don't it may be helpful. Hope it's the latter.

AC

Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
Cook

I received a KitchenAid 12 cup for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I love it. So far I used it to slice roma tomatoes, used the 2 mm blade and I was impressed, also tried some celery and it came out good. I used it to make a herb rub for a pork loin roast, using garlic cloves, fresh basil, and fresh flat parsley. The rub was nicely mixed and very finely minced. The roast was grilled and came out wonderfully. I made some shortcakes a couple of evenings ago and used the FP to mix the dry ingredients and then to incorporate the cubed butter into the mix, it made a well mixed base that came out in the proper sand and gravel texture and paved the way for great strawberry shortcake.

These are probably things that any quality FP can do, but the things I really like about the KitchenAid, in no particular order, it's very easy to clean, comes with a boatload of extra stuff, 2 slicing blades, a 4 cup minichopper, 1 grating blade, a dough blade, a spatula designed to fit the bowl, a case for the extra stuff, the pusher is a neat design with a two piece design that allows a small hole for things like carrots and round stuff the pusher also is a measuring cup and it has a small hole for drizzling oil for mayonnaise and pesto, it's quiet, did I mention that it's really easy to clean.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Can you dice potatoes in a FP? To about 1/8" cubes.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you'd have to cut them into french fries then feed taht into the slicer to get the dice.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I would love to find something that could dice potatoes..... it's so tedious cutting a potato into 1/8" slices, then 1/8" strips, then across all the uneven strips again the other way....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
A robot coupe will dice potatos, It costs uber-dollars. Just give you an idea

The make french fries and then feed them back in is viable. forgot to mention that there is a french fry cutter disk available for Kitchen Aid.

AC
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Awww, why'd you have to spoil it with the price, AC?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
A robot coupe will dice potatos, It costs uber-dollars. Just give you an idea

The make french fries and then feed them back in is viable. forgot to mention that there is a french fry cutter disk available for Kitchen Aid.

AC
Oh, Adillo, what I would do to have a Robot Coupe! We used them at school and at the catering company (the one I apprenticed at, not my own). They are wonderful AND expensive. At the caterers we would have tons of bread ends so if I had time at the end of the week I would use it to make the best bread crumbs!

I had been looking at restaurant auctions for one for awhile and may still go that route someday.

As for french fry disks, mine (not a Kitchenaid) has one and it actually produces short curly fries, not long straight ones. I don't know how the Kitchenaid would fair on that.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I would love to find something that could dice potatoes..... it's so tedious cutting a potato into 1/8" slices, then 1/8" strips, then across all the uneven strips again the other way....
It's good knife skill practice. I could dice those potatoes up before you can say "pulse".

I thought the FP would be good for grating cheese, then I broke the disk on the first try. Now, only the DW uses it mostly for baking. I hate cleaning the darn thing too.