Need a food processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just watched some youtube vids. Seems the FP dough blade can give you dough in 2 minutes (Wolfgang Puck's FP), but I already have a bread machine if all I want to do is knead dough.
Hey, maybe I can get a series of chopping and shredding blades for my Breadman :LOL:

One cool feature on WP's machine was that the slicing blade was adjustable for different thickness. A little more than I want to spend....

Bob: Merely a fumble of the fingers. I've done so many I've lost count. Bravo! for your excellent research and replies.

Most of the bread recipes for the FP that I have call for the metal blade for some reason. I've used the dough blade a few times and can't determine much of a difference. Quien sabe?

I went with this one
I found some more info online and it was rated the best out of the mid-size models on one of the sites. The money saved not getting a larger one I also bought a French fry disk that cuts MacDonald sized FFs, 1/4" strips, so that will get me 2/3 of the way to dicing my potatoes small. Not quite as small as I like for some things, but close.
Now the wait begins......

Hey, good luck. That's very similar to the one I have. Looks like it has the same blades too.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Thanks. I can't wait to try it out.
And that should do it for my kitchen needs for a while.....
...... because I also ordered a 3.5 qt saute pan I've been wanting, a new pepper mill and salt cellar that I needed, and one of those dough scraper thingies so I don't have to use the rusty putty knife that I use to clean my grill out with anymore :)

Congratulations, Pacanis and happy processing!

I feel a little like I "spent your money" because you weren't looking before I posted the cappuccino cupcake recipe, but I know you will find many uses for it!

Let us know how it goes when you get it!

OK, gonna pull the trigger on a FP.
At a member's suggestion, a mini is too small and I believe him. So I'm looking for comments on what might be the perfect size for me to get. I see there are 7's, 9's, 11's, 14's... it seems all kinds of sizes. Very confusing.
Is there such a thing as getting too big a one? I typically only cook for myself, so let's discount chopping an onion, but what about "capucchino cupcakes" (for instance)....
Can a FP really shred? Will it do something like a head of cabbage (cut into wedges maybe?).
Are multiple blades really that useful? Or do you find you leave the same blade in all the time?

Looking for any and all advice :)
And any considerations I may have missed.

Pecanis, I mentioned my Farberware (I had for about 20 years until it died). It came w several blades & a dough thingy. I was pleased with it, but it took up too much space (disks included). Bought a mini on ebay & tossed it, as it wouldn't even chop garlic. After I chopped & shredded everything in sight, the novelty wore off, & it sat on a shelf. I usually cook for one, & don't need to shred/chop ingreds in large quantities. I have a hand mixer, grater/chopper gizmo with different blades & a lid. The grated food goes into an oblong plastic container. Have a Magic Bullet that blends, chops & juices. If you don't need to shred/chop in large quantities & mostly cook for one or two, I'd go with a med size FP that will fit your cooking needs & space.

ETA: For me, it was a pain to wash/clean up all the dsks/blades, bowl, food pusher etc... & those blades/disks are VERY sharp. I don't mind getting my hands into the food, a mini workout, with a grater or mandolin. I have never put liquid in a FP. You might consider a blender. BTW, that leaked, & I dumped that too.

Well, it's not like I don't run into recipes that call for using a FP, like those chimichurri sauce recipes, along with your cupcakes Laurie. I'm sure it will get used for more, so don't feel too bad..... just a little (lol).
Let's see, there's also that Lazy Golumpki recipe that calls for shredded cabbage.... and maybe even making my own coleslaw instead of buying it in the bag. I'll have to compare prices next time I go shopping. I've never even boughten a head of cabbage before.

Between that 7c FP and my stick blender, I'm hoping I'm all set, Amy.

Shred your own cabbage... so much better than the crud in the bag. Anyhow, I got a Cuisinart for a wedding gift and still use it today. At first I did not use it much, but now I use it more than ever. It has been a reliable appliance. I have a DLC-5 which is not the biggest model, but not the smallest either. At times I wished it was a bit bigger, but it seems to be fitting for me and my 2 member family. Mine came with the shredding/chopping blades. I guess it is about 15 years old now and still going!!!

I noticed Cuisinarts have a lot longer warranty; 3 yrs on the unit and 5 on the motor, not that I would expect any of the big brands to have problems.

I actually thought about upgrading mine recently and about died when I saw the prices on those things!!! I did not realize how pricey they were... thank God someone was kind enough to get one for me!!!!

I can't understand it either. 50 bucks more to get a 2 cup larger capacity?! It doesn't make sense to me. That's what kept me away from the 9 cup, let alone looking at the full sized ones.

It will be a tool as long as it continues to be used.
At that point of time when it sits on the shelf for months on end.... it has become a gadget.

Or were we still supposed to ask Andy on this? ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom