Need a food processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's good knife skill practice. I could dice those potatoes up before you can say "pulse". :chef:

I thought the FP would be good for grating cheese, then I broke the disk on the first try. Now, only the DW uses it mostly for baking. I hate cleaning the darn thing too.

I'm lucky if I can get it diced before it starts turning brown :LOL:
You say knife skill.... I say get something with a motor in it :cool:

Question Jeeks; You're into sauces and marinades.... do you use your FP to make them?

I'm not only looking into one for those cupcakes, but the chimicchuri sauce recipes I received said to use a FP. How else would you mix spices and oil up into a fine sauce?

Question Jeeks; You're into sauces and marinades.... do you use your FP to make them?

I'm not only looking into one for those cupcakes, but the chimicchuri sauce recipes I received said to use a FP. How else would you mix spices and oil up into a fine sauce?

No.

I either mince myself or if I want it finer than that I use my blender and/or chinois.

If I have a blender still, I don't know where it is. That's why I was thinking a FP would make a good mulitasker, taking the place of a blender, mixer, good knife skills.... ;)

It's good knife skill practice. I could dice those potatoes up before you can say "pulse". :chef:

I thought the FP would be good for grating cheese, then I broke the disk on the first try. Now, only the DW uses it mostly for baking. I hate cleaning the darn thing too.

Hmm, Jeekinz, yours broke grating cheese too? Mine lasted a little longer than the first try but it seems that good old cheese is "tougher" than we think!

I keep vacillating about getting a FP. If I find one for a good price at a garage sale, maybe I'll get one, but until then I have become more proficient with my knives when it comes to cutting and chopping. Since I have a KA stand mixer, I certainly don't need it for bread dough. I have also started becoming a bit retro, and have made some dough recipes by starting my dough in a bowl with my Danish Dough Whisk, then turning it out on my granite island countertop to knead and finish the dough. I find it theraputic at times, and I often use the time to pray for people who have asked for prayers (old Catholic Slovenian custom).

BTW, why are you cutting potatoes into 1/8" cubes? That's really small for a potato.

Joe

Joe, I agree about my knife skills and KA stand Mixer being the tools I use most, but especially when I am catering there are times when the blender and food processer come in really handy. I also have a little mini chopper that I use for large amounts of minced onion and/or garlic, even though I could easily do it with a knife as well. It was given to me, never would have bought it!

BTW, why are you cutting potatoes into 1/8" cubes? That's really small for a potato.

Joe

I like the taste and texture it give my one pot hamburger dish/concoction. More the texture than anything I guess. They cook super quick and add potatoes to the dish, but it's not like biting into a fried potato. It's hard to explain. Try it sometime. They're good in scrambled eggs, too.

Unless you're doing HUGE quanitys of cheese, etc.., there is a device, human powered, on the market called a "Mini-Mouli" that is easy to use, a snap to clean and takes very little space to store. I can grate a large block in just a couple of minutes and potatoes for hash browns just as fast. It also slices (think Potato Au Gratin) and only costs around $20. I use it for smaller batches, when the thought of cleaning the FP gets to me. Check it out on google.

Actually I'm in the Deer Camp.....Hunting for the best bang for my buck....:ermm:

:LOL:

I'm still looking....
What I have come to find it there's a big jump in prices the bigger capacity I go. A 7 cup at less than a hundred bucks is looking pretty good about now.
And as far as recipes.... I pretty much need to knock recipes down anyway. The only benefit I can see of having a large/typical capacity FP is if I could drop a whole head of lettuce or cabbage in it and shred or chop it up, but if I have to cut it into wedges anyway, what's four more cuts and doing it in two batches?
Still, there are times I wish my pressure cooker was larger....

:wacko:

The 710 Model claimed capacity is 7 Cups...Actual is 7 cups....No dough hook!
The 740 Model claimed capacity is 9 Cups...Actual is 10 Cups... No Not a typo
The 750 Model claimed capacity is 12 Cups..Actual is 11 Cups...+ 1 over the 740

$50/$60 for an extra cup of capacity??

Sooner or later you may want a dough hook....

Good Hunting!!!

Those are some interesting stats, UB.

One thing I read one reviewer say about the 740 is that it takes up the same footprint of the 11 cup model. Same base. Not that that's a problem, since I'll probably have to keep it somewhere anyway. Still, it makes you wonder why not opt for the larger capacity.
And then you look at the $$$ difference.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom