"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Need a food processor

OK, gonna pull the trigger on a FP.
At a member's suggestion, a mini is too small and I believe him. So I'm looking for comments on what might be the perfect size for me to get. I see there are 7's, 9's, 11's, 14's... it seems all kinds of sizes. Very confusing.
Is there such a thing as getting too big a one? I typically only cook for myself, so let's discount chopping an onion, but what about "capucchino cupcakes" (for instance)....
Can a FP really shred? Will it do something like a head of cabbage (cut into wedges maybe?).
Are multiple blades really that useful? Or do you find you leave the same blade in all the time?

Looking for any and all advice
And any considerations I may have missed.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
pacanis... I just did the cappucchino cupcakes with a hand mixer. It worked out just fine.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Thanks, but I don't have a hand mixer.
A food processor might multi-task better for me.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I've got one and I occasionally use it, mostly for pureeing cuz the blender doesn't do it as well. Also for small batches of pizza dough (shame on me). Tried the discs that came with it and wasn't impressed. I'd rather do most tasks by hand, if the truth be known. Better control on the results. A FP doesn't really take the place of a mixer - apples and oranges so to speak.
dave the baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
I find I use the FP when I have to work with larger quantities than for a dinner recipe. For example, three cups of shredded carrots for a carrot cake takes no time at all in a FP. A large quantity of cabbage for a slaw - same thing.

I have also used the FP to make a quick pie crust and it does a fine job.

As far as using it to slice an onion or cucumber, I reach for a knife.

Also, I have found a regular blender is much better at pureeing liquids like soups. A FP can only handle smaller amounts of a liquid because it will leak out under the blade.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac
I pretty well agree with everything Andy M. says. I use my blender for blending, and my food processor for grating (though my grater blade bit the dust a few months ago). I use it for pastry and, obviously for those of you who have tuned into the thread, cappuccino cupcakes! I also do use it for some dips in my catering that are thicker as my FP has a bigger capacity than my blender. Mine has a french fry blade that makes great curly fries and so do those for fun sometimes, but do most of my fries and other slicing by hand.

It is great for large quantities of grated cheese, carrots, slaw, etc. but for a small amount I use a hand grater...less clean-up.

If you get one, I would suggest going larger than small and getting one with full metal blade units - mine had plastic centres and there are some with pieces that are interchangeable. These, as I found out, tend to break after heavy use.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
If you're going to grow all those tomatoes for canning next year, may as well plant a bunch of basil too, and make pesto w/ your new food processor.

I use it for large amounts of shredding also.... cheaper to buy block cheese and shred it yourself, then seal in smaller packages. ..... then you have another use for the vaccum sealer too!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
Senior Cook
I was given a 9 cup KitchenAid FP and I am very happy with it. I make my own sofrito to bag and freeze. It is the foundation for most of my savory sauces, soups, and stews. It's great for grating carrots for cake and muffins, too.

I use my stand mixer for cakes and heavy cookie doughs. I have good knives that I used for slicing onions. I love using my knives. I use the hand mixer for box cakes and cupcakes.

I wouldn't give up my stand mixer, hand mixer, or food processor for anything.
toni1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Hi Pacanis - I just got a 12 cup Kitchen Aid. It has a 4 cup mini bowl. Knd of best fo both worlds. I "just" got it and have not played yest. It does seem capable of all the things that you are asking for.

Family dinner comming up this weekend, I'll tell you then.

One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Master Chef
Site Moderator
Wow.. this is perfect.. I've been thinking about getting a FP again. I've been lookin at getting a 9. I want to make pesto and hummis, breadcrumbs, etc.

DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote