"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Cook

Need a stand mixer? Avoid tilt-head KitchenAids

Below is an email that I sent to Kitchenaid customer service after calling their customer service phone number and telling the woman that I spoke with about my problems. Instead of offering to fix or replace it (which is what I was hoping for, regardless of it being out of the 1 year warranty period), the woman said "Yeah, it shouldn't be making those noises. Do you want the number to a repair facility in your area?" Viking makes a stand mixer for $50 more than the base Artisan mixer which is almost certainly better built. That's what I'll be replacing this albatross with.

Quote:
About four years ago I purchased an Artisan stand mixer, banking on Kitchenaid's exceptional reputation and my experience with my father's artisan mixer that I grew up using (which still works phenomenally well today, about 25 years after he bought it). About a year after purchase, my mixer began having transmission problems. It had a strange smell when it would run and made terrible noises when it would mix something viscous. I called customer service and they were very helpful and replaced my mixer, even though it had just come out of warranty.

I received my replacement mixer and shortly thereafter moved. The mixer spent about a year in a box. I use it occasionally, but have recently begun making breads and I'm experiencing a similar transmission problem with this product. I'm not hard on my kitchen appliances and I'm careful to buy things that will last me a lifetime (and care for them as such) - that's what I thought I was doing with this mixer. This morning while mixing some bread dough (a loose dough at that) the transmission began making strange noises again. With such little use, I'm dismayed that this mixer is having issues. I wonder if the Artisan model transmission has a known issue? I've found a few reports of this online already.

I have always held Kitchenaid in the highest regard and was looking forward to buying major Kitchenaid appliances for my upcoming kitchen remodel, but I'm rethinking this plan after this seemingly obvious degradation in quality control. I received a meat grinder attachment as a Christmas gift that I may return as I'm expecting the transmission to fail in this unit and likely won't be replacing it with another Kitchenaid stand mixer as my last two experiences have removed my faith in Kitchenaid's name.

Sincerely,
Laurel

Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Head Chef

Keep the grinder and use it on a Hobart N-50.

It can use all of the KA hub attachments, and has a great reputation.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Cook

hahahaha, a MERE $2000!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Head Chef

I have 2 old old ones I bought off Ebay. A good used one runs between $300 and $700 if you don't mind cosmetic flaws.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Cook

I fail to see your point other than the fact that you are trying to blackmail and extort a new mixer for the second time from KitchenAid. The terms of the warranty were specifically stated in the documents you received with the first mixer. I understand your frustration in the situation, but trying to badger the manufacturer after four years of ownership is wrong, no matter what your usage is or was. If you don't want to purchase another that's fine. I own a 2004 Chevy truck whose manufacturers warranty ran out after 3 years or 36,000 miles, I have 25,000 miles on it, but I can't get warranty work done on it, because the warranty has expired, just like your mixer.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I think the point was that they wanted an appliance that would last a long time and apparently, in this person's experience, a Kitchenaid appliance did not fit the bill - perhaps there are design-flaws in this particular model or series (or perhaps not; I don't know).
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Head Chef

I understand Laurel's frustration and don't interpret her letter as an effort to "extort", but as a courteous and legitimate concern over the apparent deteriorating quality of KA products. I have a KitchenAid K5 that I've had for almost 20 years. It is still strong and healthy, and I use it several times a week, including breadmaking. That is what I would expect from the KA reputation. When Hobart stopped making KA, the quality went down. If I wanted a KA now, I would not buy a new one, but would search Ebay for a vintage model.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Cook

And I would have believed it until I read the last paragraph. The other problem I have with it is, it's unknown what type of bread she was making and even my Pro-6 has problems with a high flour low moisture dough and it's 525 watts versus 325 watts. I've had my Pro-6 Locked up tighter than a drum, when I used the wrong thing for a pusher using the meat grinder, so much so that I had to get a 12" Crescent wrench to turn the drive gear backwards to free the metal end of the whisk that came off and fell into the grinder.

To me this would be the same as asking KitchenAid to fix or replace my unit because I used it incorrectly. Warranty is warranty, it's stated up front to protect you and the manufacturer. If it was lifetime warranty, KitchenAid would have to honor it. It isn't, it's whatever it is stated in the paperwork that comes with the machine. KitchenAid does enjoy an excellent reputation for quality and many times has bent over backwards to satisfy a customer, which they did in one instance for this customer. Clearly this unit was at least 2 years out of the warranty and 3 if you count the year " it sat in the box without usage". To vilify and threaten the manufacturer either privately or in public, such as this case, is morally and ethically wrong no matter which side of the tracks you were brought up on.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Y'know, it's funny...I had an old Hobart KA45 that worked beautifully for years. It was used when I was given it, and I made bread, cookies, dog biscuits, ground meat for sausage, mixed the sausage in the mixer and stuffed it with the mixer...I couldn't wear it out. I finally gave it away, when I had a chance to buy a used N-50. I don't know about the newer, non-Hobart KA's, so I can't really comment on them, but the old ones were great. My N-50, btw, came from a thrift store, so there probably isn't a warranty, but I'm not expecting to need one. I would just recommend looking for a used Hobart KA.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have a old KA (30) and it has shredded 1000, of pounds cabbage and mixed hundreds of loaves of bread (heavy rye bread as well as plain white bread)
and have never had a problem with it. Now having said that about my old mixer if my machine would quit I would not buy another KA as the quality is not there. I would look into a Viking,stand mixer, or a Hobart bench model.