"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Also, to reiterate what Nora has said, if you let people know that a "new to your mom" range is needed, s/one might know of s/one who has one. People do want to do something, but often we don't know what to do. I remember when a friend's husband passed away. I was house/kennel sitting. I didn't know what to do while waiting for her to get back from the hospital in the City, so I washed all the windows on the lower-level of the house. Let people know what your mom needs.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
One great gift you can give to someone who is mourning with you is to ask them to take a look at the oven and see if it can be fixed easily, and if not, to go and acquire (at your expense) a large toaster oven. Friends, neighbors, etc want to DO SOMETHING for you at this time. Let them. For that matter, pass the word that covered dishes that appeal to a meat and meat kind of appetite would be helpful. It is very generous to let folks know what you really need at a time of loss.
This.

Also, if getting a toaster oven, make sure it is the kind that is safe for cooking meat. Some of the smaller/cheaper ones aren't intended for meat.

I love my Delonghi, convection, toaster oven. I've had it since 1995. I have used it for meat loaf and Cornish game hens. We use it for bread and the regular "toaster oven uses".

Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
MY life-long unmarried brother has used an electric fry-pan for cooking his meals exclusively for many, many years. You should see some of the meals he's made in that thing. It's the kind with a very deep lid.

I've had my kitchen torn up for remodeling for about a year now. No oven! I make do with a single hot plate and electric appliances. So far, I"ve been able to cook anything I"ve wanted to.
The electric frying pan with the very deep lid can be used for baking. I have baked potatoes as well as cake in one.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
MY life-long unmarried brother has used an electric fry-pan for cooking his meals exclusively for many, many years. You should see some of the meals he's made in that thing. It's the kind with a very deep lid.
That's the kind my mom had.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
I had no idea that this type of electric skillet was so popular, however, I can sure understand why. It has enough room in it to make a generous soup or stew, or to brown and fry and roast almost any size of meat cut. It can be used to roast or bake, stew or fry. Seriously, one of the most versatile cooking devices available.

The temperature gauge on the control that provides it's power is accurate and has a very wide range of temps.

If the non-stick version is purchased, it's also very easy to clean and requires almost no maintenance.

For the person with a tiny kitchen and a large selection of recipes, it's the one-pan-does-all appliance!

Tags
fast, oven