Need advice FAST. Dad died so did Mom's oven... family coming in today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KayFIN

Assistant Cook
Please help me find an oven thype appliance Mom can depend on for at least the next several months that can bake foods without a lot of watching. We are burying Dad on Thursday. Mom is 86 and not sure if she will remain home or move, but Sr housing is not currently available so there will be a wait. I cannot find nice working used oven and need an alternative for her. I have read lots of negative reviews on countertop alternatives like Turbo oven and Nu Wave etc. If you use one and love it, if it works quickly, well, parts have not fallen off, service is good, and food gets well done without a lot of watching, and if it can be purchased at a local retailers since we need it ASAP, please tell me what to buy today.
Thanks. I will be able to monitor this only for another hour and half and then have to go spend rest of day with Mom.
Also, brother in law thinks everything green is poison. Any quick suggestions for casseroles to feed this fellow?
Thanks.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Would it be possible to arrange Meals on Wheels? Where my folks live in MN, they can order a week's worth (frozen) at a time. They have to pick up the meals, but they go in the microwave. Easy clean up, variety, and sr. sized portions.

It could be the oven needs a new element or regulator. Perhaps a family friend who is handy could take a look at it. This might be the easiest fix. Did you look on CraigsList? A crockpot might be a solution as well. Keep it simple.

Again, so sorry for your loss. Can your sister not handle figuring out what to feed your BIL? The first thing that comes to mind is mac-and-cheese. The next thing that comes to mind is scalloped potatoes with diced ham in it. I imagine food will arrive and your BIL should be able to pick and choose from the food that others bring.

so sorry for your loss.

I agree that it seems a good idea to have someone local who's handy look to see whether your mom's oven can be fixed.

Cuisinart makes a reasonably priced countertop convection oven that works very well and has good ratings. Does she have a stove-top that is functioning? My mom LOVED her electric frying pan, and used it for many things I would never have thought of.

As for your brother in law, I would let your sister (or him) worry about what he;s going to eat. In my memory, at times like these there is so much food in the house that should be no problem.

Above all, be sure to take care of yourself. This is a very stressful time and if you don't take care of you, you can't count on anyone else to....

Sending you a big hug.

so sorry for your loss.

I agree that it seems a good idea to have someone local who's handy look to see whether your mom's oven can be fixed.

Cuisinart makes a reasonably priced countertop convection oven that works very well and has good ratings. Does she have a stove-top that is functioning? My mom LOVED her electric frying pan, and used it for many things I would never have thought of.

As for your brother in law, I would let your sister (or him) worry about what he;s going to eat. In my memory, at times like these there is so much food in the house that should be no problem.

Above all, be sure to take care of yourself. This is a very stressful time and if you don't take care of you, you can't count on anyone else to....

Sending you a big hug.

MY life-long unmarried brother has used an electric fry-pan for cooking his meals exclusively for many, many years. You should see some of the meals he's made in that thing. It's the kind with a very deep lid.

I've had my kitchen torn up for remodeling for about a year now. No oven! I make do with a single hot plate and electric appliances. So far, I"ve been able to cook anything I"ve wanted to.

I'd suggest getting the biggest and best toaster oven you can find. Models by cuisinart and kitchenaide are both good as are some by oster and others - be prepared to spend between 100 and 180 dollars. They will make small cassoroles, cook chicken parts, a small pan of brownies and TV dinners.

Look for a convection model and that will speed cooking. Most higher end toaster ovens have timers, dishwasher safe parts and pretty flexible controls.

For easy shopping try Bed Bath and Beyond, costco, target or Macys. Save yourself some time and call first to see if they have what you are looking for.

I'd suggest getting the biggest and best toaster oven you can find.

I agree! I use mine for everything now! Just made two small loaf pans of Meatloaf in mine and it turned out perfectly!

I used the mini-glass loaf pans. the normal recipe fit pefectly in the two pans.

I recommend the Cuisinart® Convection Toaster Oven. <---CLICK THIS

You can buy one at Bed Bugs and Beyond, either in the store or online from their web site. I have found every Cuisinart appliance I've purchased to provide excellent service for a very long time. I've also found that Hamilton Beach appliances aren't as heavy duty as Cuisinart, and Black & Decker appliances always seem to expire right after the warranty does.

I got a fantastic toaster oven at target, it's red, $50.00 and is can be found here. I love it and use it all the time.

I'm sorry for your loss. Hope you can find something soon, so that you can remember the man that your dad was and the good times that you have shared together. Take solace in the arms of friends and family. It is very difficult to lose a loved one, especially a parent. I will be praying for you and your family.

One great gift you can give to someone who is mourning with you is to ask them to take a look at the oven and see if it can be fixed easily, and if not, to go and acquire (at your expense) a large toaster oven. Friends, neighbors, etc want to DO SOMETHING for you at this time. Let them. For that matter, pass the word that covered dishes that appeal to a meat and meat kind of appetite would be helpful. It is very generous to let folks know what you really need at a time of loss.

Also, to reiterate what Nora has said, if you let people know that a "new to your mom" range is needed, s/one might know of s/one who has one. People do want to do something, but often we don't know what to do. I remember when a friend's husband passed away. I was house/kennel sitting. I didn't know what to do while waiting for her to get back from the hospital in the City, so I washed all the windows on the lower-level of the house. Let people know what your mom needs.

One great gift you can give to someone who is mourning with you is to ask them to take a look at the oven and see if it can be fixed easily, and if not, to go and acquire (at your expense) a large toaster oven. Friends, neighbors, etc want to DO SOMETHING for you at this time. Let them. For that matter, pass the word that covered dishes that appeal to a meat and meat kind of appetite would be helpful. It is very generous to let folks know what you really need at a time of loss.

This.

Also, if getting a toaster oven, make sure it is the kind that is safe for cooking meat. Some of the smaller/cheaper ones aren't intended for meat.

I love my Delonghi, convection, toaster oven. I've had it since 1995. I have used it for meat loaf and Cornish game hens. We use it for bread and the regular "toaster oven uses".

MY life-long unmarried brother has used an electric fry-pan for cooking his meals exclusively for many, many years. You should see some of the meals he's made in that thing. It's the kind with a very deep lid.

I've had my kitchen torn up for remodeling for about a year now. No oven! I make do with a single hot plate and electric appliances. So far, I"ve been able to cook anything I"ve wanted to.

The electric frying pan with the very deep lid can be used for baking. I have baked potatoes as well as cake in one.

I had no idea that this type of electric skillet was so popular, however, I can sure understand why. It has enough room in it to make a generous soup or stew, or to brown and fry and roast almost any size of meat cut. It can be used to roast or bake, stew or fry. Seriously, one of the most versatile cooking devices available.

The temperature gauge on the control that provides it's power is accurate and has a very wide range of temps.

If the non-stick version is purchased, it's also very easy to clean and requires almost no maintenance.

For the person with a tiny kitchen and a large selection of recipes, it's the one-pan-does-all appliance!

Back
Top Bottom