"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Need help cleaning a dishwasher.

the water in our town is terrible, full of chlorine and minerals, so our diswasher has been leaving really bad white deposits on everything.

i was wondering what things people do to help clean their dishwasher so it stops leaving a residue.

i was thinking of running a cleaner like clr (calcium-lime-rust remover) through it a few cycles, or i've heard that vinegar might work.

what do you do to keep your dishwasher running well?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Got this tip from the dishwasher repair guy: put a glass of white vinegar in the dishwasher, standing up with the vinegar in it, once a month while you run the dishwasher. In your case, maybe more often.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

One word....Tang.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Flour Child

I wouldn't use chemicals like the CLR you mentioned since it may leave residue toxins indefinitely and therefore get on your plates and utensils. Vinegar is good or some type of organic or environmentally friendly cleaner. How about calling your town water supply company and ask them.

Oh oh, I've got it...well this is for after the initial cleaning. For maintenance purposes: There is a water filter system that you attach to one place in your house and it filters the water in the whole house. Read the fine print but it filters out the minerals that are doing this damage. It's maybe "Britta" or "Pur" or others maybe...but you get it at your local hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

There is a product called Glisten that cleans DW interiors. My issue is brown stains on the inside if the DW. This stuff makes it sparkle (glisten).
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I wouldn't use chemicals like the CLR you mentioned since it may leave residue toxins indefinitely and therefore get on your plates and utensils. Vinegar is good or some type of organic or environmentally friendly cleaner. How about calling your town water supply company and ask them. .

Having a look at some MSDs for CLR it appears it is an organic mix (outside of the water).
Old 11-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just remembered that we use a rinse aid which, in our case, prevents water spots. There is a place to put it next to the dishwasher detergent. Only have to fill the little well about once a month.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just remembered that we use a rinse aid which, in our case, prevents water spots. There is a place to put it next to the dishwasher detergent. Only have to fill the little well about once a month.
We use Jet Dry rinse aid. It makes a difference in the final results.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is a product called Glisten that cleans DW interiors. My issue is brown stains on the inside if the DW. This stuff makes it sparkle (glisten).
We just had to have the heating element replaced last week on the dishwasher. It was recalled by the manufacturer. Potential fire hazard.
So fine the repair man came out and while he replaced the element he mentioned that we had serious hard water build up. He recommended the Glisten and another product Finish. $12.50 each. The Finish product is a 1 time use bottle. It wasn't what you see at the stores. You add it to the dishwasher on an empty load. The water has to be at least 112 degrees for it to work. The finish runs all through the dishwasher, not just the interior as he mentioned to me. I didn't buy either from him. When they say as he did " you can only obtain it through me" sends that flag up. We'll see about that.

Found that I could buy either one online or locally at a much cheaper price.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Glisten comes with two packets of powder in a box for around $3-$4 per box at my local market.