"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Master Chef

Big stock pot is very important for me too. I have big family. I dream of Viking 6 burners stove that is 36 inc deep. It is not cheap though. But if i ever do remodal or move into new house that is what I am going to get. Gas top, electic convection oven, 6 burners 36 inc deep Viking stove.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Executive Chef

what bad things have I heard about Viking: from some folks here-hard to get service, from the folks who use them at Williams-Sonoma nearby, oven doors not well supported, expensive to get installed because of large gas line needed, etc.
Wolf has good reputation from what I hear. THey make duel fuel, or gas ranges in a variety of surface styles. Look into them. THey are teamed with sub zero fridges.

Will be building this fall and am specing out wolf right now ... 6 burner 2 oven duel fuel with french top...gonna be pricey but gonna build it into the mortgage. I may request to be burried in it!

also get top line ventilation...don't skimp on that part of the package.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Robo:

Are you saying you DON'T need larger gas lines for the Wolf?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
Executive Chef

That I cannot confirm yet. But it is what I was told by a salesman. (I am skeptical) And frankly if that becomes an extreme cost issue, my plans will change. But I may get an answer from them soon.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess it would depend on the total burner/oven output of the two stoves. Where yours will be a dual fuel range, you may not need a larger diameter pipe.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Daycor is off my list

8-10 years ago my wife & I purchased a Daycor dual-fuel stove so that we could have a gas cooktop, and an electric convection oven.

The cooktop has been great in that it is easy to clean. The oven has been a constant headache, and for the last 3-4 years the door has not closed all the way in spite of the gasket being adjusted six ways to Sunday.

Kitchenaid & Viking are replacement candidates, but I want to take a good look at Bosch stoves - I have heard good things about their other appliances.

Tom
Old 06-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Guess It's Wolf!

I'm going to do some more research, but it looks like I'm leaning toward the Wolf, then.

It makes sense that the gas lines don't need to be enlarged, if it has the electric convection oven. You are only using the gas for the cooktop, in essence. I just have to research and find out if Wolf has a model (like Kitchen Aide) that uses steam for baking bread.

You all have been great!!! Thanks for your comments!! If anyone has used the KitchenAide - the one with the steam for baking bread, does it work well? do you like it?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalondeb
...If anyone has used the KitchenAide - the one with the steam for baking bread, does it work well? do you like it?
From a maintenance standpoint, steam sounds like a nightmare to me especially if your area has hard water.

While I have never seen the method Kitchenaid uses to create steam, I imagine it is similar to my whole-house humdifier wherein an incredibly fine mist of water is shoosted (as Lisa Douglas would say) into the oven.

If you're lucky enough to get a knowledgeable sales clerk, you might want to ask if the owner's manual lists preventative maintenance for the steam mechanism.

Tom
Old 06-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Wolf answered me today and says standard 1/2" to 3/4" pipe is all that is required unless: you are getting the biggest of their ranges and the gas service is poorly supported and the distance is far etc... but generally speaking the Home use ranges even if they are "commercial style" use household lines just fine. THe issue is to have the installer and gas hookup person regulate the lines and burner feeds correctly. Wolf also said the same should be true for ANY brand of commercial style home gas range.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

That's good news,Robo. What's the BTU output of the burners?