Need Help - Gas Range Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Kenmore 6 burner cooktop in stainless. It is made by Kitchenaid but sold as Kenmore (that is what I was told). I use it extensively and have been cooking on it for 2 years. It has been great so far.

I also like GE. I am not sure why people give it such a bad rep or maybe it's just my luck. I have never had issues with my GE stove (which I had in my old house). I also have their Monogram series all refrigerator unit and I am so glad I got it over a Subzero. It has a much better layout.

Anyway, if money is not an issue and you like high end appliances go for Wolf, Viking, Kitchen Aid or Dacor as they are head turners for the movers and shakers. For me it's more about practicality and I like Kenmore very much. This was actually the first time I used it but am totally impressed by the quality. I have their convection oven, dishwasher and warming drawers and I like everything. No matter what brand you go with invest in a good quality hood. I have a telescopic downdraft because my stove is on the island. You can look at ventahood or others that are even more powerful.

Finally one comment. I don't know how people maintain those built in grills that come with large and fancy stoves. I would think they would get so dirty and greasy after a while. I am a clean freak and even with constant cleaning stoves show wear and tear. I find grill pans more practical and not to mention cleaner.

Thanks Yakuta! It's not that I'm hung up on the whole "high price" appliance thing, I just want a REALLY good range. It could cost $25 and look like a "plain old range" or $5K and look like it should come off the Enterprise.

Performance and space are all that interest me! Thanks again about the Kenmore info. I was thinking about a Kenmore as well. My in-laws have one and really like it.

Also, thanks about the insight about the KitchenAide steam option. I hadn't thought about what a nightmare it might be if it didn't work right. I might just skip that for now until it becomes more common and the kinks are worked out.

I think 16000 btu is the Wolf standard HO. They do have WOK burners that are higher

Last edited:
That's a little cool...

Robo410 said:
I think 1600 btu is the Wolf standard HO. They do have WOK burners that are higher
Perhaps you mean 16000?

Tom

When we bought this house I took my time looking at stoves. I went with what features suited our family best. I love my simmer feature on one of the back burners and my power burner on one of the front ones. Ours is a Fridgidaire. It also has a Speed Bake feature.......I have yet to use that though.

However, if I could do it all over again I would of went with the all stainless steel stove vs. the black top with stainless still sides, doors and control panel. Huge mistake. The black is a pain in the butt to keep clean. Oh well.....like dad always said, "You live and learn".

But other than the black top its the best stove I've ever owned and I've purchased several new ones in the past.

Just bought from Sears, the Icon 36" 6 burmer cooktop!! What a dream, plenty of features, simmer plate,griddle and Wock top. many adjustable burrers and plenty of room for more than on canner at a time!!:angel:

when going through appliance repair school, the two brands that turned
out the best was GE and Kitchenaide. we had alot of different brands to
work on but those two were the best and our customers would always
ask if we had any of those two brands. that is a idea you might ask a
local appliance repairman.

Back
Top Bottom