Need Help - Gas Range Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avalondeb

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I'm buying a new house this summer and one of the first things we are doing is redoing the entire kitchen. I'm hoping to finally get the kitchen of my dreams, which means plenty of counter space, storage and a new range! All the other appliances, well, I'm not going to be picky.

Which range would you recommend?

I heard bad things about the GE Monogram, Thermadore, and Viking. I can spend up to $5K, since all the other appliances will be budget to middle of the road.

I do all sorts of cooking, but right now I'm doing a lot of baking, including bread. Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated!!! TIA!

Look for high output burners and a convection oven. Consider a dual fuel range-gas for the burners and electric for the oven.

Look for a precise simmer burner and grates that span at least two burners so you can slide heavy pots from a high output burner to a simmer burner without having to lift the pot.

Consider a six-burner stove if you do a lot of cooking for larger groups. Or a grill/griddle combo between the two banks of burners.

Good luck!

Personal opinion:

GE and drugs, just say no!

( used to work for a division of GE, suffice to say I wasn't thrilled with the business techniques )

Again, personal opinion. If I ever own a GE appliance it's because it was already part of the purchase of a residence.

Definitely d. Look for highest btu you can find and afford.ual fuel, gas top electric-convection oven

Sorry Andy! I didn't know that this was a "no brand" forum. I'm a newbie. I looked at a couple of brand comparison websites like "Consumer Reports" and "epinions". Can you direct me toward another website?

Thanks for the info, everyone else!

BTW - I saw the negative review on the Viking from Consumer Reports.

avalondeb said:
Sorry Andy! I didn't know that this was a "no brand" forum. I'm a newbie. I looked at a couple of brand comparison websites like "Consumer Reports" and "epinions". Can you direct me toward another website?

Thanks for the info, everyone else!

BTW - I saw the negative review on the Viking from Consumer Reports.

I was not telling you brand names were prohibited. Just that I couldn't really recommend any because I didn't have any real knowledge on the subject. Sorry for the misunderstanding. You can talk about specific brand recommendations all you want.

OK, got it! Sorry I'm such a dunce! Anyway, I'm thinking about a KitchenAid, since I heard that they have a steam feature for bread. I was also thinking about a Viking, mainly because I can put more than two of my huge stockpots on the stovetop.

I know that it sounds silly, but being able to fit large stockpots, at the same time, is a big deal for me. I do quite a bit of perserving, and I'm sick to death of only doing two pots at a time.....

Any comments appreciated!!!

Big stock pot is very important for me too. I have big family. I dream of Viking 6 burners stove that is 36 inc deep. It is not cheap though. But if i ever do remodal or move into new house that is what I am going to get. Gas top, electic convection oven, 6 burners 36 inc deep Viking stove.

what bad things have I heard about Viking: from some folks here-hard to get service, from the folks who use them at Williams-Sonoma nearby, oven doors not well supported, expensive to get installed because of large gas line needed, etc.
Wolf has good reputation from what I hear. THey make duel fuel, or gas ranges in a variety of surface styles. Look into them. THey are teamed with sub zero fridges.

Will be building this fall and am specing out wolf right now ... 6 burner 2 oven duel fuel with french top...gonna be pricey but gonna build it into the mortgage. I may request to be burried in it!

also get top line ventilation...don't skimp on that part of the package.

That I cannot confirm yet. But it is what I was told by a salesman. (I am skeptical) And frankly if that becomes an extreme cost issue, my plans will change. But I may get an answer from them soon.

I guess it would depend on the total burner/oven output of the two stoves. Where yours will be a dual fuel range, you may not need a larger diameter pipe.

Daycor is off my list

8-10 years ago my wife & I purchased a Daycor dual-fuel stove so that we could have a gas cooktop, and an electric convection oven.

The cooktop has been great in that it is easy to clean. The oven has been a constant headache, and for the last 3-4 years the door has not closed all the way in spite of the gasket being adjusted six ways to Sunday.

Kitchenaid & Viking are replacement candidates, but I want to take a good look at Bosch stoves - I have heard good things about their other appliances.

Tom

Guess It's Wolf!

I'm going to do some more research, but it looks like I'm leaning toward the Wolf, then.

It makes sense that the gas lines don't need to be enlarged, if it has the electric convection oven. You are only using the gas for the cooktop, in essence. I just have to research and find out if Wolf has a model (like Kitchen Aide) that uses steam for baking bread.

You all have been great!!! Thanks for your comments!! If anyone has used the KitchenAide - the one with the steam for baking bread, does it work well? do you like it?

avalondeb said:
...If anyone has used the KitchenAide - the one with the steam for baking bread, does it work well? do you like it?
From a maintenance standpoint, steam sounds like a nightmare to me especially if your area has hard water.

While I have never seen the method Kitchenaid uses to create steam, I imagine it is similar to my whole-house humdifier wherein an incredibly fine mist of water is shoosted (as Lisa Douglas would say) into the oven.

If you're lucky enough to get a knowledgeable sales clerk, you might want to ask if the owner's manual lists preventative maintenance for the steam mechanism.

Tom

Wolf answered me today and says standard 1/2" to 3/4" pipe is all that is required unless: you are getting the biggest of their ranges and the gas service is poorly supported and the distance is far etc... but generally speaking the Home use ranges even if they are "commercial style" use household lines just fine. THe issue is to have the installer and gas hookup person regulate the lines and burner feeds correctly. Wolf also said the same should be true for ANY brand of commercial style home gas range.

Back
Top Bottom