Need really portable device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
I need a portable cooking device that can be used in a dorm room without being too dangerous to start a fire

I'm a great believer in the electric skillet for such things. Very portable, very versatile. Grew up military, moving all the time, often living in low-price hotel rooms for periods of time. Mom always travelled with an electric skillet. ALSO an old-fasioned electric percolator. She threw the "guts" away (the basket), and would just use it to boil water and make cups of soup, tea, cold remedies, coffee. ANYTHING you can cook on can cause a fire. But the electric skillet works well for a great variety of dishes.

I was going to say electric wok. I had one and I sure do miss it!

Also, what about a toaster oven? My MIL has one and seems to use it daily, sometimes even more.

Are you ready-ing yourself for college, master?

Gee, with two double outlets, I think we could get an entire kitchen going. Electric skillet or wok. Toaster oven. Electric perk, drip or teakettle. Maybe a cheap microwave oven. Sounds good to me. I think I could make a gourmet dinner with the above.

I would have said the easiest and most versatile would have to be a microwave oven - after that an electric skillet, followed by a crockpot. But - I saw the ultimate dorm gizzmo a few weeks ago on one of the home shopping channels (HSN or QVC) in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep - a toaster oven with two hotplate burners on top! Someone also had a 1/2 size toaster oven with 1 hotplate and a built in 1/2 size (4 or 6 cup) coffee maker.

Back
Top Bottom