"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need suggestions for gas cooktop

I have a 5 burner (36 inch) glass cooktop with enamel burners. I love cooking with gas (propane), but detest cleaning the cooktop. The glass cleans up very easily with windex. The enamel burners are another story. They are so difficult to clean. I tried a special cleaner made for enamel burners, but find that SoftScrub is better. Still, it takes an hour every time I clean them. I usually give them a good scrubbing every month or so. I remove the burners, soak them in the sink and then scrub them with SoftScrub. I'm not talking about big messy boil-over type messes. Obviously I would clean those immediately. Ummm...not that I ever have those. Never. The enamel burners get little tiny spots from splashes, etc.

I am current shopping for a new cooktop (getting all new appliances) and am wondering if anybody has any suggestions. My cooktop is 10 years old. Cooktops have changed a lot in 10 years. I see nice gas ones on cooking shows, but wonder how those are to clean.

Any experiences or suggestions?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Master Chef

Cleaning is always a problem. But if it is waht is important to you that is what you should lookk for. I had glass top stove and I hated because the burners were pretty week, now i have hard time cleaning my stove, but I have this huge burner that is gazilion BTU's and I love it. Just go to store and compare them side by side.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks, CharlieD. I love cooking with gas. Honestly, we don't even have a "real" gas hook-up. I wanted to have a gas cooktop so badly (I hate electric) my husband hooked up a few 20lb propane tanks to create a supply from outside. I would never give up gas cooking. I'm just wondering what the new ones are like. It's easy to look at them in the stores, but you don't know how they are to clean. I care about function more than my dislike for cleaning them though. (But I'm a neat-freak so I can't ignore them when they are dirty.) I was just wondering what kind of cooktops you all have and how you like them.