"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Head Chef

Need to replace my freezer

I have an old freezer that my cats destroyed by unplugging it. The rotting food smell would never disappear. It is ok-as long as the door stays closed--this happened when my mom was in the hospital and I was with her and was so exhausted by the time I noticed--it was too late. No amount of cleaning or baking soda would help.

So, I finally decided to go to Sears and replace it. They have a sale going on and will haul away the old one for free.

I will probaby get a White Kenmore Elite 20.6 cu. ft. upright freezer. I just have to measure the space before I go to be sure. I want this mainly for baking ingredients and the occasional frozen dessert, dough or carrot cake layers that need chilling before icing. I use to keep my flour, nuts, seeds, and extra sweet butter in the old freezer.

As I have a bunch of food allergies, it will allow me to once again cook in big batches and freeze and also have some homemade chicken soup on hand.

Anyone have one of these? It got an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5.

Thanks, Susan

Old 12-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Head Chef

You should be happy with that one, especially with the alarm function so you don't lose food any more. I assume your old freezer was also frost free. The newer model might save you a little on the power consumption. I'm not aware whether this unit is an energy saver or not.

Make sure your utility company is not offering a rebate for getting rid of an old appliance. Mine (in California) gave me $50 when they hauled it away.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Head Chef

Well, I bought the freezer today and I believe it will fit the space. If not Sears will take it back. It is frost free and has the alarm. They will haul the old one away and I saved 20%; Sears is having a sale. All in all, I am quite pleased but I will feel better knowing it fits the space.

I am not big on freezing desserts unless they are meant to be but some cakes need to be chilled before being iced and I love to keep flour, nuts, sweet butter and seeds in the freezer. At one time, before the kitties did their number on the freezer, I had quite a baking larder--all different kinds of flours. Now, I will be able to start replacing everything. It is always easier to bake when you don't have to constantly go to the store for what you need.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Head Chef

Oh, I'm too late then!

I was going to suggest you put a bag or two of open charcoal briquets in the freezer for a few days.

They will absorb the odor, and you can use them later to bbq.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Oh, I'm too late then!

I was going to suggest you put a bag or two of open charcoal briquets in the freezer for a few days.

They will absorb the odor, and you can use them later to bbq.
Everything was tried. Nothing worked. The freezer had rotting food in it for three days.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Head Chef

This will really really work! It worked on a freezer I had in exactly the same situation.

It also worked on smoke damaged refrigertor and range my auntie gave me when her house burned down. Within 3 or 4 days -- no odor!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I bought a used car from a dealer several years ago. Apparently the owner of the car was a very, very heavy smoker. As a result, the car literally reeked of smoke.

We brought the car home and stuffed the floors with wadded-up newspapers as tightly as we could, then placed 4 large bags of charcoal briquettes evenly spaced in the car. Rolled the windows up, shut the doors and let the car sit like that for about a week.

At the end of the week, we removed all the charcoal and the newspapers. There was no trace of smoke smell in the car and it didn't even show any signs of smell later on.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Head Chef

I love to fish. One stupid day I left a carton of live worms in the trunk by accident.

Anybody who fishes will tell you what a dreadful stink dead worms make!

I put a bag of charcoal in the trunk, and left it a few days and voila! No more stink!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Head Chef

Once the smell gets in the rubber seal and condenser, I have been told it is a lost cause. I tried baking soda, charcoal and even lava rocks that they use for pet areas. I left the door open for days on end. It is a lost cause.

Anyway, the new one is frost free and is a bit bigger, I believe and I am happy to have been able to buy one on sale.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Head Chef

Now the truth comes out! You wanted a new freezer anyway.

In order for charcoal or lava rocks to work, the freezer needs to be closed up tight. Open, they can't do the job.