"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

New Cooktop/Oven

I'm in the market for a new cooktop/oven. I have always used gas but am considering taking the plunge to an induction cooktop and or electric oven. I am looking for input on induction specifically for the cooktop as opposed to traditional radiant electric cooktops (i've ruled those out) and electric convection over gas for the oven.

Any opinions or feedback regarding (1) gas cooktop/gas oven, (2) gas cooktop/electric oven, or (3) induction cooktop/electric oven as well as any particular brands of choice or ones to stay away from would be helpful. Also, if anyone has switched from gas to induction I would be interested to know about significant fluctuations in utility costs.

Finally,
I do have a wishlist which is a little specific....

30" slide in
Front controls
Double oven with one big enough for a 20lb turkey
Smart control
Temperature probe within oven

Thanks in advance

mclmcecclmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Cook

If you are on a tight budget, I'd recommend Frigidaire Gallery, mostly because I have had 5 of their appliances over the last 18 years with only one repair needed (a door latch on a washer). Maytag, Whirlpool, and GE have provided a much poorer experience.

If you're looking for higher line stuff, I am afraid I can't help with that.

ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If induction is serious consideration, make sure all your cookware is induction compatible.

I'd be happy with a gas stovetop and either a gas or electric oven. I don't think oven fuel type makes a huge difference in the final results.

If you're limited to a 30" wide range, you can't have two ovens and have one of them to big enough for a 20 pound turkey.

As an alternative to a built in temperature probe, consider instead getting a digital probe thermometer. https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT
Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If induction is serious consideration, make sure all your cookware is induction compatible.

I'd be happy with a gas stovetop and either a gas or electric oven. I don't think oven fuel type makes a huge difference in the final results.

If you're limited to a 30" wide range, you can't have two ovens and have one of them to big enough for a 20 pound turkey.

As an alternative to a built in temperature probe, consider instead getting a digital probe thermometer. https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT
I'm a big fan of this "ChefAlarm" from the same company, ThermoWorks. You can set the temperature alarm for a maximum and a minimum temperature. Min temp can be useful when cooling things off. It also has a timer. Mine lives on my fridge, attached by its very strong magnet. It gets used often, especially as a timer.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Actually, there are ranges that have an oven that can be divided into 2 or be just 1 large. It was either Samsung or LG. We just bought a single oven LG that will be delivered Saturday. Unfortunately, I already threw away my notes so I can't give you model numbers.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Oh, BTW, most of the induction and/or double oven models seem to be special order so you probably aren't going to be able to see/touch them before you buy.

Although we don't normally buy extended warranties, we did this time. Four places had the model we bought for the same price. We ended up buying thru Home Depot because of their extended warranty because it was very reasonably priced and the coverage was quite good, and, if you don't ever have a claim, you get 30% back at the end of the warranty period.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I bought this one about a year ago. It has one full sized oven, and what they call a "Baking Drawer". Its a second small oven when the pan drawer would be. It also has a Steam Bake option if you like making crusty breads.

As you can see in the picture, all controls are touch screens, and in front.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/major-app...sib900ess.html
Old 11-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
Master Chef

Okay, now I am wondering whether the OP is replacing a range, or a separate oven and cooktop. My comments were based on what I have, which is a separate oven and cooktop.

I prefer separate units, so I can pick and choose -- and, if one goes out, or I want to change one, I don't have to replace both. But, your cabinets need to be built for separate units.

CD
Old 11-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Sorry. To be exact, I presently have a gas combination range/cooktop. I am looking to replace this with a matching width 30" slide in range/cooktop possibly in induction.

Here's what I found that is of interest do far.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cafe-6-7-cu-ft-Smart-Slide-In-Double-Oven-Induction-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-and-Convection-Lower-Oven-in-Stainless-Steel-CHS950P2MS1/308803541

mclmcecclmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, oven