"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Cook

New Cool Appliance

So I am an avid thrift store shopper and I have bought a great deal of kitchen appliances and such. The last great buy was the George Foreman G5 grill with interchangable grill plate, everything included for $20. I have gotten a great deal of Le Creuset and Descoware enameled cast iron for virtually nothing as well.

My latest thing was not something I was actually looking for but rather something I came across quite by accident. It's the George Foreman mini roaster GV5. Here it is on Amazon: Amazon.com: George Foreman GV5 Contact Cooker: Home & Garden I didn't know what it was when I first saw it but it was brand new (not in a box) and so I went home and looked it up on Amazon. The reviews are fantastic but the device is no longer made. I ran back to the thrift store and bought it for $8. I have just made a roast chicken in it and it's awesome!!! We are only a family of three and we don't require huge meals so this little device is perfect. I try not to heat up my kitchen in the summer by using my oven so I think this is going to work out great.

My holy grail of thrift store shopping is going to be a Vita Mix. I doubt I will ever find one but I am always hoping.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

That is good you got some bargains. I haven't been to a thrift store in years, because it is not close to home.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Good deal! Lucky you. I've never seen that item before.

I haven't been to the thrift store in a while either.

Good idea for Saturday. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a nifty little roaster.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

I like to go to our thrift shops too. My favorite things to look for are books, magazines(10 cents each), dishes and toys for the grandkids.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Master Chef

I recently picked up a Starbucks coffee grinder at the thrift store for $4. Got it home, fixed it, been working perfectly every since. It is fun to do that, and you would be surprised what you can find there.
I would like to pick up a rotisserie one of these days.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Cook

I see tons of rotisserie's at the thrift stores around here!! Whatever I buy I usually plug it in at the store. I once found a cusineart food processor for $4 at Goodwill. I had one but bought it for a friend of mine.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

My thrift shop motto is: Search and yea shall find!

Keep searching and you will find your vita mix blender and a whole lot more neat stuff.

It is gratifying to find another thrift shop junkie.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Cook

Thanks Leolady. I just got a NEW toaster oven complete with the manual and broiler pan for $4.95 at Goodwill a couple of weeks ago. It's tons better than the old one I had paid $20 for. I rarely buy much new stuff anymore. I think people get married and get rid of the stuff they get two of because I find new appliances all the time.

Edit to add: I looked up the price of this toaster oven online. This was a nice one that ran in the $60-$80 range. So $4.95 was a steal.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I love thrift store shopping. I rarely buy anything new anymore except for computer equipment. Furniture, clothing, appliances, architectural salvage - it's like treasure hunting! I also use Craig's List, Habitat For Humanity Re-Store, Ebay and the local junk shops. Sounds like ya'll are seasoned treasure hunters,too!