New electric hob driving me crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myayro

Assistant Cook
I'm used to using a gas hob but recently I've moved into a new flat and I had to have an electric hob and oven installed as there wasn't a gas tap in the kitchen. I have a large Tefal non-stick pan which I use for most frying as I don't have to add any oil to it. I know that the pan needs to be warmed up for a longer time (compared to a gas hob) but today I'm making pancakes and they've been in the pan for 30-35 mins and they haven't even browned! The hob is on full heat, on the biggest ring. It actually makes me want to cry! How am I ever going to be able to do anything quickly on this hob?? (Sorry for the rant!)

i would contact whoever installed the hob and tell them about the problem i'm experiencing. it seems evident that you are not getting sufficient heat from the unit--something more than electric vs. gas though....good luck!

Sorry but what does "hob" stand for?

I think it's what UK folk call their stove.

thank you

I had to look it up too. In all my reading, I've never heard or read that term before now.

From what I've found, the original meaning was the ledge at the back of the fireplace where pots could be placed to keep food warm.

The term seems to have been expanded to mean any stove-top where foods can be heated.

I love learning new words that are in common usage in places other than where I live.

I take it you're renting? The super should be able to take care of it. Good luck!

Hi! Sorry I didn't realise that this was a forum mainly used by Americans! A hob is usually the top part of the stove/oven where you use pots and pans to cook things. I own the place so can't get anyone to look at it unless I pay them which I think I'll do now. Thanks for all your answers! I thought I was going mad...haha :))

Hi! Sorry I didn't realise that this was a forum mainly used by Americans! A hob is usually the top part of the stove/oven where you use pots and pans to cook things. I own the place so can't get anyone to look at it unless I pay them which I think I'll do now. Thanks for all your answers! I thought I was going mad...haha :))

We have some UK, Canadian and Australian folks here. This is the time of day Americans are most active. Welcome to DC and I hope we are able to help you!

I'm curious, is your stove an Induction? If so, you need new pots and pans.

if your hob hasn't been heating properly after a new installation, whoever hooked you up should be responsible to make it work right, no? you shouldn't have to pay. at least that's how it would be done here in the u.s. one day this will be a funny story that you tell to friends and have a good laugh over....:)

Other than labels, some other tip-offs that it's an induction cooker would be:

Tefal is aluminum (Tefal=Teflon+Aluminum). The induction effect requires ferromagnetic cookware, which means steel.

Induction units have a small internal cooking fan. Inside the induction "burner" is a large coil. The works that generate the coil field generates internal heat, and you can likely hear the fan, if you listen closely.

And, of course, the "burner" won't get hot. Only the surface of the steel pot will heat up, and it should heat very efficiently, more efficiently than conventional radiant burners.

If it isn't an induction cooktop, then there is clearly something wrong with it. I have a Samsung glasstop range (this is our second glasstop) and it has no trouble getting hot. At our second home in the Bahamas, I'm learning to cook with LP gas, and that's a new experience for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom