New Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I've been wanting an ice-maker for a long time, and now they have the fridges with the freezer drawer on the bottom, which would make life a lot easier for me as I would have to bend over to dig way back in the bottom of the fridge for my beer. :wacko:
I have a friend who is an independent appliance repairman, and he said that Amana is the way to go. I figure the guy who works on them should know the best kind.
We're going to wait until after Christmas, in hopes of finding a good deal, but here's what I'm looking at.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ookie=Yes&subcat=Bottom Freezer Refrigerators

Connie, that looks very nice and Sears is great for appliances. My freezer is chock full, so for me personally, I don't want to bend to a lower drawer to pull things out. I picked up a piece of lint from the floor and couldn't move. Maybe it's a matter of getting use to. I would be happy with a side-by-side... but that's just me.

I have an Amana 26 cu ft. side by side and I love it! It's quiet and it holds a TON of food. Never had a problem with it. It's about 5 years old.

mish said:
Connie, that looks very nice and Sears is great for appliances. My freezer is chock full, so for me personally, I don't want to bend to a lower drawer to pull things out. I picked up a piece of lint from the floor and couldn't move. Maybe it's a matter of getting use to. I would be happy with a side-by-side... but that's just me.

I know what you mean, Mish, but I don't have room for a side-by-side, width-wise. Besides, I had one at one time, and found I couldn't get anything large in either side. For instance, you can't get a turkey in the freezer. That's not a problem for me now, as I have a chest freezer for the big stuff.
Also, my friend, the appliance repairman, does not recommend side-by-side refrigerators. Something to do with loss of cold air. And he says those dispensors in the door are an invitation for repair bills.
Thing being, I don't get into the freezer nearly as often as I do the fridge, and have a kitchen stool I can sit on when I get into the freezer.
Avoiding bending is a very big deal for me.

bottom mount

The only residential frig that is bottom mount is Amana,which is owned by Maycor(maytag)Go for it!!:mrgreen:

I went for it, SC. We ordered it today...got 10% off, which just about covers the tax. It will be delivered on Jan. 6.
I found one on the floor just like it, minus the icemaker. I checked it out thoroughly, loved the freezer drawer with it's baskets and pull out shelf, the way the interior of the refrigerator was organized, and the whole general appearance. The stainless steel is awesome.

I'm so excited! It will be so nice not to have to mess with ice trays!

I also have new faucets for my kitchen sink, which HB is going to install tomorrow. He's also going to have to run a water line for the icemaker. I just hope it goes smoothly. He can do anything, but plumbing seems to require a use of expletives and temper fits...my Dad was the same way.

licia said:
Any plumbing job at our house requires at least 3 trips to the hardware store.

Four if it's Superbowl Sunday, it's an emergency and just has to be repaired, and you're trying to finish before kickoff! :angry:

SearedCeltic said:
The only residential frig that is bottom mount is Amana,which is owned by Maycor(maytag)Go for it!!:mrgreen:

I believe that Sears also sells bottom-mount fridges in both Whirlpool & Kenmore models.

Mine looks like a 12.0 cubic foot Gibson. It belongs to the landlord, but I think it may be on it's way out. It's showing signs normal of wear & tear. It has to be at least 18 - 20 years old. So if the compressor were to blow, it's as good as gone. Or if there were to be a freon leek, it's gone also.:ermm:

~Corey123.

I solved the beer in the back of the fridge problem. I got a second fridge for the garage and it has nothing *but* beer in it. :D

Add that to the bar fridge in the basement and I'm set. ;)

The new refrigerator came today, and HB has gone to the hardware store to get fittings to hook up the icemaker. I hope he doesn't have to make too many more trips. :LOL:
It is beautiful! Can't wait to get it loaded up.
Thing being, it's right next to the door, and that gleaming stainless steel makes my door look awfully shabby. It's going to have to be painted, pronto.

By the way, Phinz, we already had a beer fridge in the garage. Now we'll have two of them. It'll be handy for parties, though...I'm always needing extra refrigerator space for hors d'ouevre trays and such.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom