"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have a Rival programmable. It has never boiled. Yes the newer cookers get hotter, but, it depends on what you put in, how much time you cook and if there is fat in the recipe. Fat will increase the heat and cook faster.

Suggestions, sear meat first, and trim fat, use less liquid, start with a low setting & don't put frozen foods in the pot (and set on high). Ingredients should be at room temp and very little liquids.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
Executive Chef

And add the veggies last because they take the least amount of time to cook. Especially potatoes.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I had the exact same thing happen to me with the crockpot running too hot. I gave my old Rival away, not testing out my new Rival crockpot, and boy did I regret it. All the recipes I used to do were burning. So I did a lot of research before I replaced my new one, and the Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6 qt oval does not run hot. My tried-and-true recipes work the way they are supposed to. I complained by email to Rival and I got a response that basically told me that it was MY fault. I just don't think Rival wants to admit that they've made a mistake. Frankly, I think they all should be recalled! I've heard the same thing that they've changed the temp for food safety reasons, but I have never had a problem with the old way. Other message boards that I go on are saying the same thing, and many have caught on that the Hamilton Beach crocks don't run too hot. I have wasted money on two Rival cps in the last 12 months, which I ended up giving to Goodwill, and I will never buy one again, unless I hear they've changed it.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

A word to the wise;

If you plan to buy a new Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker and you have an older Rival model that still works fine, please DO NOT get rid of your old one until you've thoroughly tested the new one to make sure that it functions properly and know that it will!!

Otherwise, you might regret it. I'm keeping my old one and I'm not replacing it as long as it works fine, which it does!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I'm glad to read this thread...our Rival is the same. Overcooks everything, cooks stuff on LOW as fast or faster than the recipes designed for HIGH, burns easily, etc.

The point of us having the CP was that we could leave it for several hours. This just isn't an option anymore, which means my gf never has dinner for me when I get home anymore :(
Old 12-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #16
Executive Chef

These stories certainly add up with what my sister told me. She put roast in her new crockpot and set it on low for 5 hours. When she came back after 2 hours, it was burned except for a small amount on the inside. She was contacting the manufacturer. The selling point of a crockpot is that it doesn't have to be babysat and it seems many of the new ones aren't safe to leave at all.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I second Corey123's advice, keep your old crock-pot until you're sure the new one performs to your satisfaction.

I still have my original 5-quart one I purchased in the early '70s. It still looks and works as good as new and I can live with the harvest gold outer pot color. A few years ago a local senior citizens center had a yard sale and I bought another one just like it ('cept it was avocado green) for $2. I'm glad I have both of them. I've not found a need to replace either of them.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #18
Cook

Wow, I was just talking to my Mom about this yesterday. I too have a Rival CP which boils over all the time. If I make anything in it, I feel like I have to be at home all day to keep an eye on it. It's really annoying and I just stopped using it. The reason I was talking to my Mom about it is because she asked what I'd like for Christmas and I mentioned to her the problem I was having and maybe a new one would be a good gift.
Are there any new CP that anyone recommends?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I second Corey123's advice, keep your old crock-pot until you're sure the new one performs to your satisfaction.

I still have my original 5-quart one I purchased in the early '70s. It still looks and works as good as new and I can live with the harvest gold outer pot color. A few years ago a local senior citizens center had a yard sale and I bought another one just like it ('cept it was avocado green) for $2. I'm glad I have both of them. I've not found a need to replace either of them.

Thank you, Katie!!

Mine is the bown-spotted beige color, and it has done so very welll by me for many, many years, so I'm NOT trading it off for any of those new-fangled ones that now have to be babysat with to keep food from burning!!

Yes Licia, the selling idea or point behind getting a Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker IS to be able to leave the unit home alone for several hours so that it supposedly doesn't have to be babysat with for your soups, stews, roasts and veggies to slowly cook so that when you come home, you'd have a hot meal waiting for you.

I imagine that Rival, like most other co's have gone by the wayside and have sacrifised quality over quantity!! The newest units seem to have all gone sour!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I should retract my earlier statement...we actually have a Sunbeam and not a Rival. My bad.