"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

New Rival Crock Pot Always Boils!

Hi everyone! I recently bought a new Rival crock pot at Sears (had a gift certificate). It is a big one, for me anyway. It is the 6 qt. oval shaped one called, of all things... the Smart Pot! I am really thinking something is wrong with it because even when I set it on low for either 8 or 10 hours, it will always boil whatever is in there and I have to watch it closely so it dont way overcook stuff (kind of defeats the purpose of a crock pot, imho). Now, I've only had one other crockpot in my life, one I got as a wedding gift that I used for years but I never recalled that boiling stuff, at least on low.

Am I nuts or should I contact Rival? Of course, I didnt use it enough when it was brand new to actually realize how bad it is, so it would be well out of it's warranty time I am sure. I thought maybe it just did it because I rarely filled it all the way up but I am finding out today that is not the case, as it boils away at a pot full of chili I am cooking for hubby for opening day of deer season tomorrow

Just curious if anyone else has a similiar experience with this particular crock pot.

Thanks,
Tammy

Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Nope you are not nuts. Slow cookers use a higher temperature these days than they used to. Does yours also have a "warm" setting and not just high and low? If so, try that setting as it should be lower than the low setting and maybe will not boil.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Head Chef

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing, Tammy!

Mine was a gift, too, and I stupidly threw away my good old crockpot that never gave me any trouble, other than the fact that I'd keep trying to overfill it.

Now I have to BE HOME to use this new crock. Really annoying.

Lee
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks, GB & Lee.

Wow! I didnt expect responses so fast! I am glad to know it is not just me. Ok, so then why are slow cookers using a higher temperature these days? I am tempted to get my old one back out (Gosh, I dont think hubby threw out!!! I better find out!) And it is missing the knob on the front and I had to use a pair of pliers to turn it! lol

It does have a "warm" setting, I have used it a time or two yet in the instructions it warns against using it too long for food safety reasons I think was the jest of it, I assume because it was lower than what food should be kept at... so that made me leary as well.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalentam

It does have a "warm" setting, I have used it a time or two yet in the instructions it warns against using it too long for food safety reasons I think was the jest of it, I assume because it was lower than what food should be kept at... so that made me leary as well.
That is basically the reason the newer slow cookers cook at a higher temp. The older ones cooked at a lower temp which could have been below a safe temp for food to be held at. I do not know what temps they were all set at so I do not know if this was just litigious fears or if the fear was real, but that was the reason for the change in any event.

What I would recommend is putting some water in yours and putting it on the warm setting for a few hours, then take the temp of the water. As long as it is higher than 140F then you can use that setting without fear.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Master Chef

The old original crockpots (no temp settings - plug it in to turn it on and unplug it to turn it off) ranged between 180-200 F. The newer models with Low-High settings were 200-F (low) and 300-F (high). The latest generation of variable temp pots (sometimes called multi-cookers) have more temperature ranges ... the booklet that came with your pot should give you the temp ranges for the various setting if they are not marked in degrees on the dial. Depending on make and model these can range from 145-F (WARM) up to 350-F, or more, on HIGH.

You can test the lower temps (warm and low) by filling it 2/3 full of water and checking the temp after 2-hours. Since water boils off at 212-F, it's going to be hard to test the pot a higher temps - since the water temp will not exceed it's vapor point of 212-F.

FYI: there have been problems with some models getting too hot.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have an older 5.5 qt Smart Pot that acutally holds less than 5 qt. that seemed to cook faster than our older CPs when it was new but as it got older that problem has dissapaerd.

It's one that has a one piece pyrex lid and knob. The newer ones have a metal knob.

Made a pot of 15 bean soup today and after 4 hr on hi some of the beans were still mealy but then again not all beans cook at the same rate.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My landlord has also been having trouble with his Rival unit as well!! He told me this some time ago during the summer.

Half the time it doesn't work properly and sometimes cooks a bit too fast. He was doing a pot roast in it. The electronic control acts sporatically. So you're not alone, Dalentam.

And BTW, I did not get rid of my old one!! I've kept it and it has been very faithful to me since I bought it in the late '70s!!! At times, I make Boston Baked Beans in it for the Fourth of July when the oven is tied up doing babyback ribs.

I'm so glad that I kept it all this time!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Mine also cooks at too high of a temperature. I got rid of my "old faithful" after I got this one : - ( I keep looking for an old one at yardsales and consignment shops
Old 11-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thrift shops, you mean?

Sometimes you can find "one-of-a-kind" things in there that you might not be able to find elsewhere!

I found a lot of things that way, such as the old square Corningware cookware with the blue flowery design on it!! Corning doesn't make that anymore.