New to Gas ranges, GE Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
2 Questions...
I have a GE profile gas range with the big iron grates across the pretty black painted top... what do you use to clean that black part to keep it all shiney?

2nd question...

A few minutes ago the stove had a some stuff in it that was dripping down to the drip pan above the burner and it was smoking up a storm. I have the microwave vent hood above it but it was still pretty bad. Can I or should i try to wipe the fat, I was cooking bacon on a cast iron griddle on the bottom rack, and what would you use to wipe it with?

One other question while I'm here, I have a k/a 6qt mixer and a 9 cu food processor. What do you use to clean them to get them nice and shiney white again? My mixer is wearing tomato stains and a few other little stains from cake or whatever i made in it.

I can only tell you the cleaning type products I use as the actual products won't be available where you are. I have three products that I select between depending on the dirt level - a cream cleanser, normal detergent with a grease-cutting component, or a vanilla fridge wipe spray. They all seem to do the trick. If it is a bit hard to clean, I just let the product sit for a while and then try again.

I have a GE Profile Gas on Glass with continuous heavy grates - no drop pans just flat glass. I don't know if the cleaning will be the same but try it - I use plain water and a paper towel and then towel dry. NOw, for boilovers (like today) wipe it up and let it cool. Then I remove what I can with plain water. My cooktop came with a specific cleaner - it is paste-like - rub it in then buff out with paper towel or soft cloth. If yours didn't come with cleaner you can find several at the local market - look for "cooktop cleaner" in the cleaning aisle. Hope that helps you.

Mine has the a grate all over the top, well it's 2 grates one is 1/2 and the other the other half. But the surface beneath the burners is steel which is painted black. I have been wiping it down with basically a wet dish rag, which has some dish soap in it, but it leave it looking foggy, i guess is the best way to put it. I will try the stove top cleaner.

Now have you ever had a boil over in the oven? I thought about putting aluminum foil in the bottom of it, the way I used to in an electric oven but some how that doesn't seem right with the flame right beneath it

I always put a tray under my pans etc in the oven - just a flat biscuit tray. For me it does two things, one collects any overflows but also for me helps me carry the dish as I have weak wrists. It might effect the cooking times but I can't tell you how cos that's the way I have always done it.

I don't think the foil idea is a good one. If you put the dish on a flat sheet pan, as suggested, you should be o.k. It shouldn't affect the cooking time. Just make sure the sheet pan has sides.

v-man, I have a GE Profile stove as well. For fresh spills, use windex and paper towels. If there is a cloudy residue, do another application.

If the residue is burned on, use Dawn Power dissolver to remove it. If that doesn't work (it should) try Barkeepers Friend and lightly scour it off.

2 Questions...
I have a GE profile gas range with the big iron grates across the pretty black painted top... what do you use to clean that black part to keep it all shiney?

2nd question...

A few minutes ago the stove had a some stuff in it that was dripping down to the drip pan above the burner and it was smoking up a storm. I have the microwave vent hood above it but it was still pretty bad. Can I or should i try to wipe the fat, I was cooking bacon on a cast iron griddle on the bottom rack, and what would you use to wipe it with?

One other question while I'm here, I have a k/a 6qt mixer and a 9 cu food processor. What do you use to clean them to get them nice and shiney white again? My mixer is wearing tomato stains and a few other little stains from cake or whatever i made in it.

I keep a spray bottle with about 1/3 each of water, lemon juice and white vinegar in the kitchen and use that for practically everything. I have a black cooktop, too (a Jenn-air), and after spraying and wiping with a kitchen sponge, I wipe it down with dry paper towel, to get rid of the water marks.

Back
Top Bottom