"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook

New toy in the kitchen...

I was just gifted a gently, as in hardly ever used Vitamix 5300. I had no idea what it was.

I have a standard basic Kitchenaid blender, so I'm thinking what could be any different.

Oh, Man. This thing is awesome indeed. It is a beast of a blender. We've done smoothies, drinks and milkshakes all today.

I think I'm addicted. Lots to learn. Supposedly, it can even blend fast enough to make hot soup. That seems nuts to me.

My next try will be a vinaigrette as it is said to be strong enough to truly emulsify, which is hard to do normally when I do injections and vinegar sauces. Should be fun.

Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Cook

You'll find all sorts of things to use that for, Vinyl! One warning, which you may have already discovered in a regular blender, is that olive oil becomes bitter, when blended, or even whisking it too much. Sometimes it's best to only use half, but it can still get a little bitter.

Some of my favorite things to use the VM for is grinding up things like Mexican salsas, which TOTALLY grind up the seeds and skins, so pressing through a strainer is unnecessary. Same thing with Thai curry pastes.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

WOW you're a lucky guy to be gifted such an expensive machine. Congrats!!
Hope you have lots of fun with it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Well, we've been putting it to use pretty much every day, sometimes twice.

Smoothies and milkshakes. Haven't had a chance to do any sauces or vinaigrettes yet.

Oh, grapefruit isn't very good in a smoothie.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Agree about the grapefruit. I cut up bananas and bag and freeze them for smoothies. Pineapple juice and coconut milk go well together. I've been using VitaMix's forever and really like them. Easy, great pesto machine, too. Just scored a stainless steel mixing container for mine. Not from VitaMix, from Waring. Nice.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Something that I do with the VM is grind up the core of every pineapple that I cut up into a smoothie. A lot of the rest of the pineapple goes into smoothies, too, but I always quarter the freshly cleaned pineapple, then cut out the hard cores, and toss them into the VM, along with maybe a banana or two, and some coconut flavor. Many, if not most of my smoothies, have pineapple in them.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
Sous Chef

If you are interested, pineapple cores are where the anti-inflammatory enzyme bromelain is most concentrated. Good to know for post workout smoothies.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Definitely good info, gadzooks! I just thought that I was getting fiber, plus, of course, being cheap. lol

Tags
kitchen