New toy in the kitchen...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinylhanger

Sous Chef
I was just gifted a gently, as in hardly ever used Vitamix 5300. I had no idea what it was.

I have a standard basic Kitchenaid blender, so I'm thinking what could be any different.

Oh, Man. This thing is awesome indeed. It is a beast of a blender. We've done smoothies, drinks and milkshakes all today.

I think I'm addicted. Lots to learn. Supposedly, it can even blend fast enough to make hot soup. That seems nuts to me.

My next try will be a vinaigrette as it is said to be strong enough to truly emulsify, which is hard to do normally when I do injections and vinegar sauces. Should be fun.

You'll find all sorts of things to use that for, Vinyl! One warning, which you may have already discovered in a regular blender, is that olive oil becomes bitter, when blended, or even whisking it too much. Sometimes it's best to only use half, but it can still get a little bitter.

Some of my favorite things to use the VM for is grinding up things like Mexican salsas, which TOTALLY grind up the seeds and skins, so pressing through a strainer is unnecessary. Same thing with Thai curry pastes.

Well, we've been putting it to use pretty much every day, sometimes twice.

Smoothies and milkshakes. Haven't had a chance to do any sauces or vinaigrettes yet.

Oh, grapefruit isn't very good in a smoothie.

Agree about the grapefruit. I cut up bananas and bag and freeze them for smoothies. Pineapple juice and coconut milk go well together. I've been using VitaMix's forever and really like them. Easy, great pesto machine, too. Just scored a stainless steel mixing container for mine. Not from VitaMix, from Waring. Nice.

Something that I do with the VM is grind up the core of every pineapple that I cut up into a smoothie. A lot of the rest of the pineapple goes into smoothies, too, but I always quarter the freshly cleaned pineapple, then cut out the hard cores, and toss them into the VM, along with maybe a banana or two, and some coconut flavor. Many, if not most of my smoothies, have pineapple in them.

If you are interested, pineapple cores are where the anti-inflammatory enzyme bromelain is most concentrated. Good to know for post workout smoothies.

Back
Top Bottom