"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
Master Chef

I have the food mill, slicer/shredder, meat grinder and pasta extruder. Never used the pasta atachment, and seldom use the slicer shredder, but I use my meat grinder all the time for making meat spreads and sausage, and LOVE the food mill for processing fresh tomatoes. I just put the fresh Romas in whole, and it spits out a lovely puree.
I'd love to have a pasta roller thingie...maybe if I be a good girl, I'll get one for Christmas.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
Head Chef

Iím sort of with Michael on the pasta issue. Iíve used a manual pasta machine in cooking school, and itís not that much work to roll out and cut a decent amount of pasta. I guess if you are doing large amounts it might be worth the extra expense, but Iím not going to jump on that one for a while.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I have the pasta maker attachment. Love it. RPCookin I see you live in Littleton, CO. I just relocated from there. I lived in
Highlands Ranch and worked in Littleton.

We just relocated to the Philadelphia area. DH got a job offer at one of the univesities here. Sure miss Denver.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni1116

We just relocated to the Philadelphia area. DH got a job offer at one of the univesities here. Sure miss Denver.
I live in unincorporated Jefferson County, about 1/2 mile from Southwest Plaza, and about 300 yards from Columbine High School.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
Head Chef

It's here!!! Now I just have to learn how to use it, but that's the fun part .

I'll tell you one thing... I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay retail. This one is "refurbished", but the only reason I can see is that the original box has a hole poked in it. Not even a scratch on my Pro 6. Everything works, all appears to be properly adjusted. And I paid around $130 less than I have seen it new at Amazon.com. Even less than the Pro 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KA Mixer (Medium).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	141  
Old 06-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #16
Master Chef

So, Rick - how you gonna' break it in? What's the first thing you're going to make with it???? My first this was to mix a batch of bread dough ... then ground some lamb to make moussaka.

Nothing wrong with a "refurb" - that just means that something that was going to break within the warranty period did and they put in new parts - so you've got new guts with a used case .. and saved a bunch of $$$. I have no problem buying refurb - you generally get upgraded parts. I know KA had a production run a few years ago that had a BUNCH of problems (probably trying to use cheaper parts) that was a disaster - the refurbs have the new parts which appear to be better and more durable.
Golly - we could have been neighbors if I hadn't moved back to TX about 7 years ago! I lived in Golden ... on Ford Street - right across the street from the Coor's visitor's parking lot.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:38 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
So, Rick - how you gonna' break it in? What's the first thing you're going to make with it???? My first this was to mix a batch of bread dough ... then ground some lamb to make moussaka.

Golly - we could have been neighbors if I hadn't moved back to TX about 7 years ago! I lived in Golden ... on Ford Street - right across the street from the Coor's visitor's parking lot.
I haven't made a decision yet, but I am leaning toward some kind of plain white bread, or maybe a focacia, something easy anyway, as I haven't any experience with it. Looks like Sunday will be my first opportunity though, as between work and other commitments, there won't be any time before then.

Living there, did you ever eat at the Briarwood Inn? It's our favorite place to go for our annual anniversary celebration.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #18
Head Chef

Just found out that my new KA mixer was apparently mis-represented on the Ebay auction. It's actually a Pro 600 instead of a Pro 6. So I got a better bargain than I thought I did..
Old 06-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

The meat grinder is great attachment...Sausage is simple to make with a large funnel, put the casing over the end tie it push the sausage blend thru the funnel..(gently) how big a funnel ? depends on the casing and the type of sausage...

ticoterry-EXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
Living there, did you ever eat at the Briarwood Inn? It's our favorite place to go for our annual anniversary celebration.
Oh yeah - a few times. I had some friends (there were about 12-18 of us) that used to get together every 2-3 weeks and have a "pot luck" dinner - one was a chef from the Briarwood and one was a chef from a place in Blackhawk ... and the rest of us that just enjoyed cooking together.

Another fantastic place to eat is The Fort down in Morrison. But - it's definately a special occasion experience. Dinner for two is going to cost you $100-$200. Here is there website - check out the menu: http://www.thefort.com

By the way - congrats on the Pro 600! What a deal!!!