New toy - Pro 6 KitchenAid stand mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Well, tomorrow UPS is supposed to deliver the refurbished Chrome Pro 6 KitchenAid stand mixer that I bought on Ebay. I have never owned anything but a hand mixer, so I have a lot learning to do now. I'm really looking forward to making some new things, doing some baking, etc. :ROFLMAO:

Any recommendations for attachments, and uses therefore? I have a KA food processor, so I don't need to duplicate anything there. I was thinking of the pasta attachment, as I don't have a pasta machine, but I get the impression from some reading I've done that it requires or goes with with another attachment? The KA site isn't at all clear on that. :neutral:

I don't have the pasta attachments, but I do have the meat grinder. You can make your own ground meat for meatloaves, pates, spreads, and sausages. I like the old cast aluminum ones best.

I like to have an extra bowl or two for those busy baking days.

You should post a photo of your new beauty for us to admire! What are you going to name it?

So easy to make pizza dough with this mixer. It'll whip up a batch of pizza dough in a couple of minutes. Hand kneading takes much longer, not to mention the wear and tear on the body.

I don't have any of the power attachments yet. If I get any it would probably be either the pasta maker or the meat grinder. I've seen both attachments used on TV and they seem to work as they are supposed to.

I can't think what added attachment is needed in addition to the pasta attachment to make pasta.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
So easy to make pizza dough with this mixer. It'll whip up a batch of pizza dough in a couple of minutes. Hand kneading takes much longer, not to mention the wear and tear on the body.

I don't have any of the power attachments yet. If I get any it would probably be either the pasta maker or the meat grinder. I've seen both attachments used on TV and they seem to work as they are supposed to.

I can't think what added attachment is needed in addition to the pasta attachment to make pasta.

I'm looking forward to making focacia. There are so many ways to flavor it. :chef:

I checked out the KA website. There is a combination meat grinder/pasta extruder to make spaghetti, macaroni, flat noodles in addition to grinding meats.

The pasta roller, to make pasta sheets for lasagna or ravioli, is a separate attachment. Also separate is the sausage stuffing attachment that goes on the meat grinder. There's also a separate ravioli making attachment.

WOW! Where's my checkbook?

Andy M. said:
I checked out the KA website. There is a combination meat grinder/pasta extruder to make spaghetti, macaroni, flat noodles in addition to grinding meats.

The pasta roller, to make pasta sheets for lasagna or ravioli, is a separate attachment. Also separate is the sausage stuffing attachment that goes on the meat grinder. There's also a separate ravioli making attachment.

WOW! Where's my checkbook?

Hold on to your check book! :ohmy:

You don't want the pasta extruder that goes on the meat grinder. Even the moderators on the Kitchenaid forum don't recommend that attachment!!!!!!

CC:

Thanks. Good to know. Actually, I was thinking of the grinder or the pasta roller first.

Andy - I'm with CC - you don't want the pasta extruder attachment!!!

You DO want the meat grinder attachment, and the sausage stuffer attchment for it if you want to make sausages, if you don't own any other attachment.

The slicer/shredder attachment is great if you're looking to do a bunch of slicing/shredding in no time at all - you can do more in one batch than in a food processor ... you're only limited by the size bowl you put down to catch the food. It's really no harder to clean than a hand grater, I find it easier than my food processor - but Oh MY GOSH - is it FAST!!!!!

Ragarding the pasta extruder attachment, that goes on the meat grinder, you probably don't want it because you have to use such a soft dough. Of course, you don't know that until you get it and read the recipes/instructions. I've had mine for 3 years and NEVER used it.

I've got the pasta roller/cutter 3-pc set (about $100 from Cooking.com) - it works just great but wish I had gone with an Imperia SP-150 (think that is the model number I bought my kids) hand cranked pasta machine (about $40). For about the same price (with the optional motor) it can do soooo much more than the KA set. With the KA you can only cut fettuccine and linguine ... with the Imperia you have a choice of 10 different cutters ($15 each) and the ravioli attachment is only $30! KA wants $125 for their Ravioli attachment.

Before someone jumps in with their war stories of trying to use an Imperia and how much better the Atlas is ... they are basically identical. Just like the KA roller/cutter attachment ... you have to have your dough right or you will have problems. My daughter has an Atlas, my sons have Imperia, and I've got my KA - I've never had a problem with any of them once I figured out the dough consistency.

For Pasta machines - check out http://www.pastamakers.us

The KA Fruit & Vegetable Strainer was also a BIG dissapointment. Another waste of money - I'm back to using a strainer and a spoon to make applesauce and apple butter.

Thanks, Michael. I always wonder about mulit-purpose tools. Often, they do several tasks and none of them well.

I have the food mill, slicer/shredder, meat grinder and pasta extruder. Never used the pasta atachment, and seldom use the slicer shredder, but I use my meat grinder all the time for making meat spreads and sausage, and LOVE the food mill for processing fresh tomatoes. I just put the fresh Romas in whole, and it spits out a lovely puree.
I'd love to have a pasta roller thingie...maybe if I be a good girl, I'll get one for Christmas. :rolleyes:

I’m sort of with Michael on the pasta issue. I’ve used a manual pasta machine in cooking school, and it’s not that much work to roll out and cut a decent amount of pasta. I guess if you are doing large amounts it might be worth the extra expense, but I’m not going to jump on that one for a while. :chef:

I have the pasta maker attachment. Love it. RPCookin I see you live in Littleton, CO. I just relocated from there. I lived in
Highlands Ranch and worked in Littleton.

We just relocated to the Philadelphia area. DH got a job offer at one of the univesities here. Sure miss Denver.

roni1116 said:
We just relocated to the Philadelphia area. DH got a job offer at one of the univesities here. Sure miss Denver.

I live in unincorporated Jefferson County, about 1/2 mile from Southwest Plaza, and about 300 yards from Columbine High School.

It's here!!! :mrgreen: Now I just have to learn how to use it, but that's the fun part :chef: .

I'll tell you one thing... I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay retail. This one is "refurbished", but the only reason I can see is that the original box has a hole poked in it. Not even a scratch on my Pro 6. Everything works, all appears to be properly adjusted. And I paid around $130 less than I have seen it new at Amazon.com. Even less than the Pro 5.

Attachments

• KA Mixer (Medium).JPG
    KA Mixer (Medium).JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 195
So, Rick - how you gonna' break it in? What's the first thing you're going to make with it???? My first this was to mix a batch of bread dough ... then ground some lamb to make moussaka.

Nothing wrong with a "refurb" - that just means that something that was going to break within the warranty period did and they put in new parts - so you've got new guts with a used case .. and saved a bunch of $$$. I have no problem buying refurb - you generally get upgraded parts. I know KA had a production run a few years ago that had a BUNCH of problems (probably trying to use cheaper parts) that was a disaster - the refurbs have the new parts which appear to be better and more durable.
Golly - we could have been neighbors if I hadn't moved back to TX about 7 years ago! I lived in Golden ... on Ford Street - right across the street from the Coor's visitor's parking lot.

Michael in FtW said:
So, Rick - how you gonna' break it in? What's the first thing you're going to make with it???? My first this was to mix a batch of bread dough ... then ground some lamb to make moussaka.

Golly - we could have been neighbors if I hadn't moved back to TX about 7 years ago! I lived in Golden ... on Ford Street - right across the street from the Coor's visitor's parking lot.

I haven't made a decision yet, but I am leaning toward some kind of plain white bread, or maybe a focacia, something easy anyway, as I haven't any experience with it. Looks like Sunday will be my first opportunity though, as between work and other commitments, there won't be any time before then.

Living there, did you ever eat at the Briarwood Inn? It's our favorite place to go for our annual anniversary celebration. :mrgreen:

Just found out that my new KA mixer was apparently mis-represented on the Ebay auction. It's actually a Pro 600 instead of a Pro 6. :mrgreen: So I got a better bargain than I thought I did.. :chef:

The meat grinder is great attachment...Sausage is simple to make with a large funnel, put the casing over the end tie it push the sausage blend thru the funnel..(gently) how big a funnel ? depends on the casing and the type of sausage...

RPCookin said:
Living there, did you ever eat at the Briarwood Inn? It's our favorite place to go for our annual anniversary celebration.

Oh yeah - a few times. I had some friends (there were about 12-18 of us) that used to get together every 2-3 weeks and have a "pot luck" dinner - one was a chef from the Briarwood and one was a chef from a place in Blackhawk ... and the rest of us that just enjoyed cooking together.

Another fantastic place to eat is The Fort down in Morrison. But - it's definately a special occasion experience. Dinner for two is going to cost you $100-$200. Here is there website - check out the menu: http://www.thefort.com

By the way - congrats on the Pro 600! What a deal!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom