"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Head Chef

New toy - Pro 6 KitchenAid stand mixer

Well, tomorrow UPS is supposed to deliver the refurbished Chrome Pro 6 KitchenAid stand mixer that I bought on Ebay. I have never owned anything but a hand mixer, so I have a lot learning to do now. I'm really looking forward to making some new things, doing some baking, etc.

Any recommendations for attachments, and uses therefore? I have a KA food processor, so I don't need to duplicate anything there. I was thinking of the pasta attachment, as I don't have a pasta machine, but I get the impression from some reading I've done that it requires or goes with with another attachment? The KA site isn't at all clear on that.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #2

I don't have the pasta attachments, but I do have the meat grinder. You can make your own ground meat for meatloaves, pates, spreads, and sausages. I like the old cast aluminum ones best.

I like to have an extra bowl or two for those busy baking days.

You should post a photo of your new beauty for us to admire! What are you going to name it?

Old 06-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

So easy to make pizza dough with this mixer. It'll whip up a batch of pizza dough in a couple of minutes. Hand kneading takes much longer, not to mention the wear and tear on the body.

I don't have any of the power attachments yet. If I get any it would probably be either the pasta maker or the meat grinder. I've seen both attachments used on TV and they seem to work as they are supposed to.

I can't think what added attachment is needed in addition to the pasta attachment to make pasta.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
So easy to make pizza dough with this mixer. It'll whip up a batch of pizza dough in a couple of minutes. Hand kneading takes much longer, not to mention the wear and tear on the body.

I don't have any of the power attachments yet. If I get any it would probably be either the pasta maker or the meat grinder. I've seen both attachments used on TV and they seem to work as they are supposed to.

I can't think what added attachment is needed in addition to the pasta attachment to make pasta.
I'm looking forward to making focacia. There are so many ways to flavor it.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have the slicers and cheese shredder attachments if you need to shred alot of cheese its great.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I checked out the KA website. There is a combination meat grinder/pasta extruder to make spaghetti, macaroni, flat noodles in addition to grinding meats.

The pasta roller, to make pasta sheets for lasagna or ravioli, is a separate attachment. Also separate is the sausage stuffing attachment that goes on the meat grinder. There's also a separate ravioli making attachment.

WOW! Where's my checkbook?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I checked out the KA website. There is a combination meat grinder/pasta extruder to make spaghetti, macaroni, flat noodles in addition to grinding meats.

The pasta roller, to make pasta sheets for lasagna or ravioli, is a separate attachment. Also separate is the sausage stuffing attachment that goes on the meat grinder. There's also a separate ravioli making attachment.

WOW! Where's my checkbook?
Hold on to your check book!

You don't want the pasta extruder that goes on the meat grinder. Even the moderators on the Kitchenaid forum don't recommend that attachment!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

CC:

Thanks. Good to know. Actually, I was thinking of the grinder or the pasta roller first.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 AM   #9
Master Chef

Andy - I'm with CC - you don't want the pasta extruder attachment!!!

You DO want the meat grinder attachment, and the sausage stuffer attchment for it if you want to make sausages, if you don't own any other attachment.

The slicer/shredder attachment is great if you're looking to do a bunch of slicing/shredding in no time at all - you can do more in one batch than in a food processor ... you're only limited by the size bowl you put down to catch the food. It's really no harder to clean than a hand grater, I find it easier than my food processor - but Oh MY GOSH - is it FAST!!!!!

Ragarding the pasta extruder attachment, that goes on the meat grinder, you probably don't want it because you have to use such a soft dough. Of course, you don't know that until you get it and read the recipes/instructions. I've had mine for 3 years and NEVER used it.

I've got the pasta roller/cutter 3-pc set (about $100 from Cooking.com) - it works just great but wish I had gone with an Imperia SP-150 (think that is the model number I bought my kids) hand cranked pasta machine (about $40). For about the same price (with the optional motor) it can do soooo much more than the KA set. With the KA you can only cut fettuccine and linguine ... with the Imperia you have a choice of 10 different cutters ($15 each) and the ravioli attachment is only $30! KA wants $125 for their Ravioli attachment.

Before someone jumps in with their war stories of trying to use an Imperia and how much better the Atlas is ... they are basically identical. Just like the KA roller/cutter attachment ... you have to have your dough right or you will have problems. My daughter has an Atlas, my sons have Imperia, and I've got my KA - I've never had a problem with any of them once I figured out the dough consistency.

For Pasta machines - check out http://www.pastamakers.us

The KA Fruit & Vegetable Strainer was also a BIG dissapointment. Another waste of money - I'm back to using a strainer and a spoon to make applesauce and apple butter.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Michael. I always wonder about mulit-purpose tools. Often, they do several tasks and none of them well.