"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
New toy, vintage KA mixer!

Here is my new toy, a vintage Kitchenaid mixer. It still works and the motor seems good and strong. I saw it and just had to have it!



Now I have a vintage Dormeyer too.



I have a vintage Hamilton Beach hand mixer that I haven't got a picture of yet. All of these were bought within the span of a week... Now I just want a vintage chrome Sunbeam to round out the collection.

__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
I have a model almost identical to your recently acquired KA. Be prepared to replace the brushes on the KA, and you may find that the clasp that holds the bottom of the beater together is worn or broken. Hope you do not encounter grease / oil leaks from the planetary gear housing that migrate into your food. It's a pretty light duty machine (about 2 amps) that I tolerated for many years before springing for a 7 quart model. I'm holding onto the 4C for sentimental reasons and as sort of a backup. My wife likes to use our chrome plated Hamilton Beach stand mixer / beater, which has a rotating base, for mixing cake batter.
__________________

__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Thanks for the info. I bought this mainly as a show piece, but will give it some light use. My 18 year old Ultrapower is my workhorse. There is a company that you can send these old kitchenaids that will refurbish them, I'm thinking of getting this done in the future.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Thanks for the info. I bought this mainly as a show piece, but will give it some light use. My 18 year old Ultrapower is my workhorse. There is a company that you can send these old kitchenaids that will refurbish them, I'm thinking of getting this done in the future.
Good luck. Cosmetically your machines are very nice.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
I've used the KA to make a cake and it worked well.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,942
Your KA is cute, bakechef! Sort of like my Pro 600's diminutive great great grandma!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
gadzooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 838
I like the idea of handles on top of stand mixers. It would be ludicrous on mine, though.
__________________
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I have a model almost identical to your recently acquired KA. Be prepared to replace the brushes on the KA, and you may find that the clasp that holds the bottom of the beater together is worn or broken. Hope you do not encounter grease / oil leaks from the planetary gear housing that migrate into your food. It's a pretty light duty machine (about 2 amps) that I tolerated for many years before springing for a 7 quart model. I'm holding onto the 4C for sentimental reasons and as sort of a backup. My wife likes to use our chrome plated Hamilton Beach stand mixer / beater, which has a rotating base, for mixing cake batter.
I've inspected the beater and it is still in very good shape, doesn't look ready to give out just yet!

I did some research and it seems that Kitchenaids often suffer from the leaking oil thing. Seems that over time the gobs of grease used on the gears starts to break down and the oil separates from the rest of the lubricant material, oozing out around the beater area. I'm going to buy some new grease and have a go at cleaning and re-greasing this machine, if all goes well, I'll do the same for my Ultra Power, there are videos showing how to do it online.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I've inspected the beater and it is still in very good shape, doesn't look ready to give out just yet!

I did some research and it seems that Kitchenaids often suffer from the leaking oil thing. Seems that over time the gobs of grease used on the gears starts to break down and the oil separates from the rest of the lubricant material, oozing out around the beater area. I'm going to buy some new grease and have a go at cleaning and re-greasing this machine, if all goes well, I'll do the same for my Ultra Power, there are videos showing how to do it online.
KA's MSRP for grease is pretty stiff. I recall seeing the same grease elsewhere for half the price but cannot remember the particulars.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
I noticed that it is going to run about $25, but at least I have two mixers to use it on, since you apparently don't need the entire can for one mixer. I am shopping around for it.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mixer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.