"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
Executive Chef

new Wolf DF366

I am in my new home, surrounded by unpacked boxes of books cds whatevers, but...the Wolf dual fuel 36" 6 burner range is in place and has already fed many folks (with my help). The appliance guys arrived at 10 and left at 3...did a real fine job of installation.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Very nice. Congrats :)

Old 12-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I would like to hear more about this range, and maybe pictures too?? I am in the market for some new kitchen equipment; range, frig and dish washer, but I am most interested in ideas about ranges. I only have a 30 inch space. I think you said a while back that yours is a dual fuel? How is that working?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Congratulations! I'm officially filled with envy.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:16 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Beth...tonight I had a dinner for 6 ... baked a Harrington's corn cob smoked ham, roasted tomatoes with basil and garlic, made a gratin of potatoes parsnips celeriac and leeks, and roasted asparagus with caramelized fennel and onion. I've burner and oven space to use. A top quality range is gentle and forgiving. the heat is even without hot bursts. your food is carressed and if you leave it for a minute, it doesn't burn. I also have top quality copper cookware which spreads the heat very well indeed.

The range is well insulated, and features differing modes for roast bake broil convection etc...more choices than a household range. (even has a specific Sabath mode rated Star K) Yes 30" models are available and in fact a buddy of mine has one which is where I first encountered Wolf ranges. I was planning a cooktop but had a cabinet left out instead and put this in. . .very pleased.

Yes it is a major piece of equipment, pricey and requires some work...the burners are sealed etc, but you still got to clean 'em, and it's made of real metal...heavy. However, your pot sits still when you stir it! It requires proper exterior ventilation, and your gas and electric hookups need to be located as specified by the diagrams...no empty space in back. But it takes a regualr oven circuit and houshold gas (1/2" flex hose) ng or lp.

I will post pics as soon as we unpack the dig camera! yikes!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410

The range is well insulated, and features differing modes for roast bake broil convection etc...more choices than a household range.

I will post pics as soon as we unpack the dig camera! yikes!

wow, this is interesting. I am very interested in its baking characterists.

I just checked out the prices for a Wolf , gave me pause to say the least. I am not in a rush to make these purchases and will look forward to any future comments on cooking/baking with your Wolf.

Thanks for the comments so far!!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Well, of the top ranges out there...things like Aga and Le Cornue are way up there (9 to 15 K) Wolf runs a little more than Viking, but gets better ratings by users (people who really cook). And these are mid range (5 to 8 K) in line with Dacor, DCS, Thermadore etc. There are low end items too like GE profile, Kenmore pro and Frigidaire pro (1 to 2 K) And there are ways to get the product more cheaply...a wall oven and cooktop from Wolf would be less than a range for example. But certainly no top end appliance should be an impulse buy.

As for baking, the Wolf has two convection fans so you can load up the oven and get even results. (I had a full ham, a 12" diameter round pan of asparagus, and a loaf of bread in the oven at the same time. I also have a second wall oven.)
Old 12-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Executive Chef

it won't take me long to get used to the price range of these ranges. I may need to do a bit more of a selling job to the DH .

Here is a picture I took a few years ago. I ate two meals off/from/beside this AGA. Isn't it a beaut?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aga3442 (2).JPG
Views:	196
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	2312  
Old 12-31-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

sure is. I've lived in a Brit house for a month w an Aga and got very accomplished with its methods. But for the mid atlantic area here, I'd rather not have a constant heat source...now if I lived way north, for sure. THe other issue with the Aga is as it is vented outside by an oven flue, you never smell the food cooking...I want to smell the Turkey on T-giving !
Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Executive Chef

the picture of the AGA was taken in a rural village in Derbyshire England. I was there on other tasks and could not devote my full attention to the stove, my real interest!! I also do not understand plumbing and heating systems in the UK. But Derbyshire is like other places in the UK, damp, coolish, windy, etc.......
Thanks for mentioning other potential quality ranges, I have much homework to do