New Wolf Oven advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hipgrncln

Assistant Cook
Purchasing a new Wolf 36 in oven for my new home. Need suggestions as to what cook top configuration works best. It will be gas of coarse but 6 burners or 4 and a griddle or ??????

Bob J

I don't use a griddle all that often, so I'd opt for 6 burners, maybe 4 big ones and two small if possible. You can always get a good griddle that will fit over two burners. Caphalon and All-Clad make good ones -- check Amazon.com.

as I am getting a 36" wolf dual fuel in my new house (3 1/2 months to go!) I have had to deal with this question. THere are tons of good stove top griddles/grills...they cover two burners, are easy to remove, clean etc. But if you get a built in one You are stuck with it. So a lodge cast iron reversable grill/griddle gives you a 6 burner option, or a grill or a griddle. But if you get the built in griddle, all you have is a 4 burner stove with a griddle. Always.

If I had the room and the cash for a 48 or 60" range, I might have gone with the french top, but I don't. So I'm getting the 6 burner. I do have nice burner plates I can use if I want and I got my lodge grill/griddle. I think I'm gonna be real happy. I think you are too. It's a great range.

oh btw, for those of you planning for upgrades or remodles, Wolf makes a 30" 4 burner range for folks in small spaces. They also have cook tops, range tops, wall ovens etc. DCS makes a 5 burner 30" range. ANd these companies' products can use propane gas.

New 36" wolf 4 burner stove with Griddle.

I know this is an old thread, but folks still read it because it has the word "Wolf" in it. :)

I just purchased/installed a 36" 4 burner/griddle all gas wolf stove along with the Wolf 27" pro hood with an external 900cfm blower. This set up is awesome. The griddle is the best part. It's essentially a half inch block of steel sitting on a thermostat controlled gas fired infared heat source. The griddle makes hamburgers better then Five guys, maybe better than my Big Green Egg! The built in Wolf griddle is way, way better than the ole Calphalon/Circulon sitting on two burners. BTW I have a couple two burner griddles so I'm not making this comparison up.

The Wolf setups are expensive, however, you will get years of enjoyment, and double your money back when you sell the house. :)

I have to say that when I lived with my grandma I used her built-in griddle all the time - mainly for grilled cheese or quesadillas, but still, I loved that I didn't have to dirty a pan all the time. If the Wolf griddle is as nice as Sargentw claims, then I can't possibly see how you could go wrong with it!

I also envy those who get the Wolf set-ups, and I fully intend to follow suit someday...

I, myself, like to cook with gas.

Electric stoves take too long for the burners to heat up, and if something is in danger of boiling over, you must remove the pan from the burner because it also takes too long to cool down!!

With a gas stove, you just turn the burner off, and the boiling stops immediately.

~Corey123.

about 10 weeks to go...dry wall was being put up yesterday. we've had our walk thru with the builder for electric, gas and plumbing inspection etc. Maybe we'll be in before Christmas, but certainly for the New Year! Still going with the 6 burner Wolf...Can't tell you the times 4 have not been enough for me. But as we all said...it's how one cooks that determins the configuration one gets.

The kitchen Project

I'll just have to post a picture. Here is the 36" Wolf with the 27" Pro Hood. I have a cookie sheet hanging behind the griddle to make cleanup easy. The griddle has it's SS cover in place. Four burners is enough for me. I understand that the griddle can be used to simmer sauces too. :) BTW: I cooked a big ole steak on the griddle, set the temp to 375 and flipped it on there. There was room for the mushrooms at the same time. Perfect!

We had an electric Jenn-air cook top (see plywood plug on the Island). There was a double wall oven that was removed and we expanded the pantry. Soon the recessed lighting and granite countertops will be installed.

I am really glad to be able to finally do an upgrade like this. :)

Attachments

• Resize of P1040738.JPG
    Resize of P1040738.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Resize of P1040737.JPG
    Resize of P1040737.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Sargentw said:
I understand that the griddle can be used to simmer sauces too. :) ...

Have you tried this, yet? I will be moving soon, and I am not sure that I will be able to take my vintage (1936) MagicChef gas range/oven/broiler with me. I have been looking at the Wolf offerings, and have been leaning towards the 6 burner version (I have a cast iron griddle/grill). However, if I can use the built in griddle as a large, low-to-medium heat burner, I might change my mind. TIAFAI.

i live 2 blocks away from a subzero wolf distribution warehouse and district office.

i've been there twice to look at models, and i've also picked up a few pamphlets, brochures, etc. i'd go for a 4 burner, built-in grill combination, but i'd also invest in one of those heavy duty vents... so that i can sear, sear, sear away without smoking-up the entire house.

bullseye said:
Have you tried this, yet? I will be moving soon, and I am not sure that I will be able to take my vintage (1936) MagicChef gas range/oven/broiler with me. I have been looking at the Wolf offerings, and have been leaning towards the 6 burner version (I have a cast iron griddle/grill). However, if I can use the built in griddle as a large, low-to-medium heat burner, I might change my mind. TIAFAI.

Not yet. The normal burners have 2 gas lines connecting each, an outer ring and a small inner ring (about 1 ") The inner ring is used for the low and simmer settings. I steamed a batch of rice in a cast iron dutch oven last night for about an hour on the simmer setting. Done to perfection. :)

Puting your sauces to simmer on a griddle (or french top) is a great thing ... move pan away from the heat center to reduce temp. etc) but not the most fuel efficient method unless one is doing other things with the griddle as well. The simmer feature on the Wolf stacked burner is outstanding.

Nice job on the kitchen upgrade! I know I can't wait till mine is ready.

And yes the hood is essential. My dealer gave us no option...if you are getting a range like that, you must get proper ventilation...here are your choices. It will be nice to sear without setting off the smoke alarms!

Back
Top Bottom