"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 08-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
New Wolf Oven advice?

Purchasing a new Wolf 36 in oven for my new home. Need suggestions as to what cook top configuration works best. It will be gas of coarse but 6 burners or 4 and a griddle or ??????

Bob J

Hipgrncln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
The answer sort of depends on what and how you cook.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef
I have no advice, only insane jealousy that you're getting a WOLF!!!!!!!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I don't use a griddle all that often, so I'd opt for 6 burners, maybe 4 big ones and two small if possible. You can always get a good griddle that will fit over two burners. Caphalon and All-Clad make good ones -- check Amazon.com.
FryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef
as I am getting a 36" wolf dual fuel in my new house (3 1/2 months to go!) I have had to deal with this question. THere are tons of good stove top griddles/grills...they cover two burners, are easy to remove, clean etc. But if you get a built in one You are stuck with it. So a lodge cast iron reversable grill/griddle gives you a 6 burner option, or a grill or a griddle. But if you get the built in griddle, all you have is a 4 burner stove with a griddle. Always.

If I had the room and the cash for a 48 or 60" range, I might have gone with the french top, but I don't. So I'm getting the 6 burner. I do have nice burner plates I can use if I want and I got my lodge grill/griddle. I think I'm gonna be real happy. I think you are too. It's a great range.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef
oh btw, for those of you planning for upgrades or remodles, Wolf makes a 30" 4 burner range for folks in small spaces. They also have cook tops, range tops, wall ovens etc. DCS makes a 5 burner 30" range. ANd these companies' products can use propane gas.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
New 36" wolf 4 burner stove with Griddle.

I know this is an old thread, but folks still read it because it has the word "Wolf" in it. :)

I just purchased/installed a 36" 4 burner/griddle all gas wolf stove along with the Wolf 27" pro hood with an external 900cfm blower. This set up is awesome. The griddle is the best part. It's essentially a half inch block of steel sitting on a thermostat controlled gas fired infared heat source. The griddle makes hamburgers better then Five guys, maybe better than my Big Green Egg! The built in Wolf griddle is way, way better than the ole Calphalon/Circulon sitting on two burners. BTW I have a couple two burner griddles so I'm not making this comparison up.

The Wolf setups are expensive, however, you will get years of enjoyment, and double your money back when you sell the house. :)
Sargentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
Send a message via MSN to C-Mart
I have to say that when I lived with my grandma I used her built-in griddle all the time - mainly for grilled cheese or quesadillas, but still, I loved that I didn't have to dirty a pan all the time. If the Wolf griddle is as nice as Sargentw claims, then I can't possibly see how you could go wrong with it!

I also envy those who get the Wolf set-ups, and I fully intend to follow suit someday...
C-Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
Executive Chef
I, myself, like to cook with gas.

Electric stoves take too long for the burners to heat up, and if something is in danger of boiling over, you must remove the pan from the burner because it also takes too long to cool down!!

With a gas stove, you just turn the burner off, and the boiling stops immediately.

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Executive Chef
about 10 weeks to go...dry wall was being put up yesterday. we've had our walk thru with the builder for electric, gas and plumbing inspection etc. Maybe we'll be in before Christmas, but certainly for the New Year! Still going with the 6 burner Wolf...Can't tell you the times 4 have not been enough for me. But as we all said...it's how one cooks that determins the configuration one gets.