"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Do you turn off your water heater when you leave?
Why no I don't. Given there is a 20F differential between cut out and cut in temps, that the heater is in the garage with an ambient temp of 88F, it will never power up the heating element when there is no demand. The only time there is demand, someone is home. So the point of your question is what?

Old 09-14-2015, 01:01 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Why no I don't. Given there is a 20F differential between cut out and cut in temps, that the heater is in the garage with an ambient temp of 88F, it will never power up the heating element when there is no demand. The only time there is demand, someone is home. So the point of your question is what?
Hmmm. You are the only person I've ever heard of who would try to make such a comment support your contention. Most of the world lives where the ambient temp is a lot lower than that for much of the year. And I'll bet that the ambient temperature is less than that at night, and I'll bet that you don't spend every night of your life at home. Water heaters run, furnaces run, and they run whether anyone is home or not. Properly cared for and maintained, they don't cause fires. Kitchen appliances plugged into GFI outlets don't either. 99% of all home fires are due to human carelessness or stupidity or kids playing with matches and lighters, some to faulty wiring, almost never to low power appliances.

I've heard of toaster ovens causing fires, even when not being used, so ours remains unplugged when not in use. These days we don't crock pot much because that was something we always did when we both worked. It was used maybe once every two weeks for 20 years. It still works fine now, even though it has been to the Bahamas and back, and I wouldn't hesitate to let it cook unattended. There is reasonable caution and then there is paranoia. I like to take the reasonable route.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Hmmm. You are the only person I've ever heard of who would try to make such a comment support your contention. Most of the world lives where the ambient temp is a lot lower than that for much of the year. And I'll bet that the ambient temperature is less than that at night, and I'll bet that you don't spend every night of your life at home. Water heaters run, furnaces run, and they run whether anyone is home or not. Properly cared for and maintained, they don't cause fires. Kitchen appliances plugged into GFI outlets don't either. 99% of all home fires are due to human carelessness or stupidity or kids playing with matches and lighters, some to faulty wiring, almost never to low power appliances.

I've heard of toaster ovens causing fires, even when not being used, so ours remains unplugged when not in use. These days we don't crock pot much because that was something we always did when we both worked. It was used maybe once every two weeks for 20 years. It still works fine now, even though it has been to the Bahamas and back, and I wouldn't hesitate to let it cook unattended. There is reasonable caution and then there is paranoia. I like to take the reasonable route.
Guess you learn something new everyday!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
This probably goes without sayin', but just make sure your saucepan is all metal and doesn't have any plastic parts before you put it in the oven.

Thrift shops often have slow cookers, if you have any in your area you'll probably find one at a good price.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Head Chef

We once had a coffee pot that you could program to start before wake up time. It caught on fire and burned our very new counter top (days before stone counter tops). Luckily my husband heard something "funny" and was able to put it out. Never have used that feature again.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
We once had a coffee pot that you could program to start before wake up time. It caught on fire and burned our very new counter top (days before stone counter tops). Luckily my husband heard something "funny" and was able to put it out. Never have used that feature again.
I've used that feature on my coffee maker numerous times with no issues. I'm sure there was some type of defect with your coffee maker that had nothing to do with the timer.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #17
Head Chef

You're probably right, GG. I don't mind waiting for my coffee, anyway, so no issue.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I only use it when DH is out of town. Otherwise, he makes the coffee, so I'm used to having it ready when I get up
Old 09-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Yikes! I use it every day!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Same here . Our first coffeemaker was Mr. Coffee back in the 70's no timer but a great invention. They sure have come a long way in 40 years. Always set it at night but I'm up before it goes off. Takes less than 10 minutes to brew 12 cups .

Tags
crockpot