"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

No crock-pot...suggestions?

Good evening , I used to have a crockpot but it died on me and I don"t have the budget right now for a new one , does anybody in here know what I can use to subsitute for my unfortunate crockpot .
Thank you

Old 09-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Electric slow cookers are relatively new. The original CrockPot was introduced in 1971. Slow cooking has been around for centuries.

If you have a heavy saucepan and an oven, you're all set. You just prepare the recipe in a saucepan and put it in the oven to cook slowly. You can usually also slow cook on the stove top.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Electric slow cookers are relatively new. The original CrockPot was introduced in 1971. Slow cooking has been around for centuries.

If you have a heavy saucepan and an oven, you're all set. You just prepare the recipe in a saucepan and put it in the oven to cook slowly. You can usually also slow cook on the stove top.
Thank you Andy ,I will try that .
Old 09-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Master Chef

This probably goes without sayin', but just make sure your saucepan is all metal and doesn't have any plastic parts before you put it in the oven.

Thrift shops often have slow cookers, if you have any in your area you'll probably find one at a good price.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I use a Dutch oven or a cast iron skillet that I tightly cover with foil and slow roast at 250/300.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #6
Master Chef

For a roast you can use the old oven braised in foil recipes. This is just one of many recipes you will find on the internet.

Pot Roast In Foil - Recipe - Cooks.com

You can include vegetables in the foil pouch with the beef or pork roast. You can season it with the old standard onion soup mix, a can or two of cream of anything soup or just use your favorite spices and a little water or wine. I like to use a couple squirts of soy sauce in place of salt and a good squirt of Worcestershire sauce with a beef roast. Make sure the piece of foil is large enough to allow for a couple of secure seams to make the pouch leak proof. Be careful when opening the pouch so you don't spill the liquid or get burned. I usually hold the pouch over a pan or bowl and poke a hole in it to release the liquid and then open the pouch to remove the meat and vegetables.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Don't own a crockpot. Anything that can be cooked in one, can be done stove top or in the oven. Don't need another gadget taking up counter space. I also would never leave an appliance, that has a heating element, on while I'm not here.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
All the previous posters have given you spot-on good advice, which will work. The only "have to" part of what they recommend is that however you chose to cook your food, make sure the pot/pan/roaster is tightly sealed with foil.

My suggestion is to ask you to search in second hand or thrift stores for a new crock-pot, well new to you. Not too many years ago I snagged a wonderful 5-quart Rival crock-pot for $3. Was practically brand new and works like a champ. My purchase price would amount to what the sales tax would be on a new one today. Poke around. Ask around. I'll bet you will be surprised at what pops up. You never know who might just say, "For goodness' sake, I have one in the back of the pantry I never use. It's yours." It could happen.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Don't own a crockpot. Anything that can be cooked in one, can be done stove top or in the oven. Don't need another gadget taking up counter space. I also would never leave an appliance, that has a heating element, on while I'm not here.

Do you turn off your water heater when you leave?
Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Do you turn off your water heater when you leave?
....and incandescent light bulbs, which aren't too far removed from a heater?

I just looked at my 4 qt. slow cooker, and maximum power consumption is 225 watts. I'll guess it's no more than 150 watts on low. I wouldn't leave a roll of paper towels leaning against it, but I don't thinks there is much risk when it sits on the counter away from everything else.

Tags
crockpot