No crock-pot...suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookie69

Assistant Cook
Good evening , I used to have a crockpot but it died on me and I don"t have the budget right now for a new one , does anybody in here know what I can use to subsitute for my unfortunate crockpot .
Thank you:chef:

Electric slow cookers are relatively new. The original CrockPot was introduced in 1971. Slow cooking has been around for centuries.

If you have a heavy saucepan and an oven, you're all set. You just prepare the recipe in a saucepan and put it in the oven to cook slowly. You can usually also slow cook on the stove top.

Electric slow cookers are relatively new. The original CrockPot was introduced in 1971. Slow cooking has been around for centuries.

If you have a heavy saucepan and an oven, you're all set. You just prepare the recipe in a saucepan and put it in the oven to cook slowly. You can usually also slow cook on the stove top.
Thank you Andy ,I will try that .

This probably goes without sayin', but just make sure your saucepan is all metal and doesn't have any plastic parts before you put it in the oven. ;)

Thrift shops often have slow cookers, if you have any in your area you'll probably find one at a good price.

For a roast you can use the old oven braised in foil recipes. This is just one of many recipes you will find on the internet.

Pot Roast In Foil - Recipe - Cooks.com

You can include vegetables in the foil pouch with the beef or pork roast. You can season it with the old standard onion soup mix, a can or two of cream of anything soup or just use your favorite spices and a little water or wine. I like to use a couple squirts of soy sauce in place of salt and a good squirt of Worcestershire sauce with a beef roast. Make sure the piece of foil is large enough to allow for a couple of secure seams to make the pouch leak proof. Be careful when opening the pouch so you don't spill the liquid or get burned. I usually hold the pouch over a pan or bowl and poke a hole in it to release the liquid and then open the pouch to remove the meat and vegetables.

Don't own a crockpot. Anything that can be cooked in one, can be done stove top or in the oven. Don't need another gadget taking up counter space. I also would never leave an appliance, that has a heating element, on while I'm not here.

Last edited:
All the previous posters have given you spot-on good advice, which will work. The only "have to" part of what they recommend is that however you chose to cook your food, make sure the pot/pan/roaster is tightly sealed with foil.

My suggestion is to ask you to search in second hand or thrift stores for a new crock-pot, well new to you. Not too many years ago I snagged a wonderful 5-quart Rival crock-pot for $3. Was practically brand new and works like a champ. My purchase price would amount to what the sales tax would be on a new one today. Poke around. Ask around. I'll bet you will be surprised at what pops up. You never know who might just say, "For goodness' sake, I have one in the back of the pantry I never use. It's yours." It could happen.

Don't own a crockpot. Anything that can be cooked in one, can be done stove top or in the oven. Don't need another gadget taking up counter space. I also would never leave an appliance, that has a heating element, on while I'm not here.

Do you turn off your water heater when you leave?

....and incandescent light bulbs, which aren't too far removed from a heater?

I just looked at my 4 qt. slow cooker, and maximum power consumption is 225 watts. I'll guess it's no more than 150 watts on low. I wouldn't leave a roll of paper towels leaning against it, but I don't thinks there is much risk when it sits on the counter away from everything else.

Why no I don't. Given there is a 20F differential between cut out and cut in temps, that the heater is in the garage with an ambient temp of 88F, it will never power up the heating element when there is no demand. The only time there is demand, someone is home. So the point of your question is what?:rolleyes:

Why no I don't. Given there is a 20F differential between cut out and cut in temps, that the heater is in the garage with an ambient temp of 88F, it will never power up the heating element when there is no demand. The only time there is demand, someone is home. So the point of your question is what?:rolleyes:

Hmmm. You are the only person I've ever heard of who would try to make such a comment support your contention. Most of the world lives where the ambient temp is a lot lower than that for much of the year. And I'll bet that the ambient temperature is less than that at night, and I'll bet that you don't spend every night of your life at home. Water heaters run, furnaces run, and they run whether anyone is home or not. Properly cared for and maintained, they don't cause fires. Kitchen appliances plugged into GFI outlets don't either. 99% of all home fires are due to human carelessness or stupidity or kids playing with matches and lighters, some to faulty wiring, almost never to low power appliances.

I've heard of toaster ovens causing fires, even when not being used, so ours remains unplugged when not in use. These days we don't crock pot much because that was something we always did when we both worked. It was used maybe once every two weeks for 20 years. It still works fine now, even though it has been to the Bahamas and back, and I wouldn't hesitate to let it cook unattended. There is reasonable caution and then there is paranoia. I like to take the reasonable route.

Hmmm. You are the only person I've ever heard of who would try to make such a comment support your contention. Most of the world lives where the ambient temp is a lot lower than that for much of the year. And I'll bet that the ambient temperature is less than that at night, and I'll bet that you don't spend every night of your life at home. Water heaters run, furnaces run, and they run whether anyone is home or not. Properly cared for and maintained, they don't cause fires. Kitchen appliances plugged into GFI outlets don't either. 99% of all home fires are due to human carelessness or stupidity or kids playing with matches and lighters, some to faulty wiring, almost never to low power appliances.

I've heard of toaster ovens causing fires, even when not being used, so ours remains unplugged when not in use. These days we don't crock pot much because that was something we always did when we both worked. It was used maybe once every two weeks for 20 years. It still works fine now, even though it has been to the Bahamas and back, and I wouldn't hesitate to let it cook unattended. There is reasonable caution and then there is paranoia. I like to take the reasonable route.

Guess you learn something new everyday!;)

This probably goes without sayin', but just make sure your saucepan is all metal and doesn't have any plastic parts before you put it in the oven. ;)

Thrift shops often have slow cookers, if you have any in your area you'll probably find one at a good price.

That's what I was thinking.

We once had a coffee pot that you could program to start before wake up time. It caught on fire and burned our very new counter top (days before stone counter tops). Luckily my husband heard something "funny" and was able to put it out. Never have used that feature again.

We once had a coffee pot that you could program to start before wake up time. It caught on fire and burned our very new counter top (days before stone counter tops). Luckily my husband heard something "funny" and was able to put it out. Never have used that feature again.

I've used that feature on my coffee maker numerous times with no issues. I'm sure there was some type of defect with your coffee maker that had nothing to do with the timer.

Yikes! I use it every day!

Same here . Our first coffeemaker was Mr. Coffee back in the 70's no timer but a great invention. They sure have come a long way in 40 years. Always set it at night but I'm up before it goes off. Takes less than 10 minutes to brew 12 cups .

Back
Top Bottom