"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Non electric multi cooker

Many years ago, I was in Israel, and stayed with a family. Before the Sabbath, the woman prepared what I now see named as a multi-cooker. It was not electric. She put meat in the bottom, layered potatoes and other hard veggies, and in the tiers of inserts, put other foods, including eggs (with shell). This was put on a back burner, on very low heat, the evening before the Sabbath began. It cooked all night, the goal being that they wouldn't have been able to turn on any power once the Sabbath began. The eggs were removed in the morning for breakfast. The other items continued cooking until late lunch. There was a cooked pot roast type meat, rice, potatoes, carrots, etc. Quite delicious. I would love to know how it is done. Does anyone know anything about this? The only thing I remember her saying is that the layering put what needs the most heat on the bottom, and moving what needs lesser heat toward the top.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Head Chef

Search for recipes for CHOLENT, one name for the cooker over night Sabbath meal that often contains eggs. Today, it's most often made in a slow cooker.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Question multi cooker - non electric

Thanks. I looked it up, and it appeared to be a stew. What this woman served was all separate, only cooked in the same pot. The pot had inserts that allowed some ingredients to cook by themselves. The meat was like a pot roast, so had potatoes and carrots with it. The rice was separate. The eggs were somewhere in the pot that allowed some juices to drip on them so that when they were shelled at breakdast, they had a little exposure to that flavor, as I remember. After the eggs were removed in the morning, the remainder of the meal continued cooking until lunch or early supper. I have a pot that similar, and it is a large sauce pan, with another pan that fits inside, strainer insert and then another smaller insert that could be put inside any of the others.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I seem to remember some kind of multi-layered inserts that fit into a pot to hold different foods. You could lift them all out at one times with some sort of daisy chain thingy... like macrame. They nested together inside the pot. As a matter of fact, the inserts might have been made with bamboo. It may have simply been some type of steamer arrangement. It was a long time ago that I saw it. I don't recall them saying it was for overnight cooking.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a set of these stacking bamboo steamers - http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-26-.../dp/B0001VQIYU

I haven't tried cooking overnight with them. Since it's not a sealed environment, I'd imagine the water would evaporate before the cooking was done.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have a set of these stacking bamboo steamers - Amazon.com: Joyce Chen 26-0013, 10-Inch Bamboo Steamer Set: Kitchen & Dining

I haven't tried cooking overnight with them. Since it's not a sealed environment, I'd imagine the water would evaporate before the cooking was done.
I'll betcha that was what I was thinking of. They look very familiar.
I saw them years ago. Back when in a 24 hour span there were 30 programs on and 2 infomercials instead of the other way around.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Question non-electric multi-cooker

Hers didn't have a bamboo insert...all metal. I have a similar set and it is also all metal. Unfortunately, no recipe book came with it. Amazon.com has multi-cookers, some electric and some not. They have a couple of sets that look like it.
I would like to know how to prepare a meal in it, with separate meat and veggies, and rice.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Did it look like this?

My Grandma had one like this. She used it on the stove top and also in the oven.

Amazon.com: All-Clad Stainless 12-Quart Multi Cooker with Steamer Basket: Kitchen & Dining
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Did it look like this?

My Grandma had one like this. She used it on the stove top and also in the oven.

Amazon.com: All-Clad Stainless 12-Quart Multi Cooker with Steamer Basket: Kitchen & Dining
I had one of them years ago. But like so many of my kitchen items, it ended up with one of the kids. They seemed to have the attitude that it was theirs when they lived at home and they never gave up ownership. It went with them.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had one of them years ago. But like so many of my kitchen items, it ended up with one of the kids. They seemed to have the attitude that it was theirs when they lived at home and they never gave up ownership. It went with them.
Do you at least get to visit it from time to time to eat something that was cooked in it?

Tags
multi cooker-not electric