NuWave vs. Flavor Wave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McDougal

Assistant Cook
There are currently two 'wave' ovens that I see advertised frequently on TV. Does anyone know which is better Flavor Wave vs. Nu Wave. Are these even worth buying? Does anyone own either and do they perform as advertised; Are they really that easy to operate (one seems to have more buttons like a micro. and one seems to be a knob with a couple of keys to operate) and clean up, as well as being odorless, as advertised. I am very skeptical of products advertised on infomercials, because I suspect that a lot these products do not perform as miraculously as indicated. However, in the same theme of a toaster oven over a microwave, I would love to find an appliance I can use when cooking small portions or frozen products without having to clean three different pots and pans using a conventional cook top and oven, that doesn't leave food tasting like a microwave made meal. If no one can recommend one of these TV ovens, are there similar 'countertop' wave ovens sold at any appliance stores that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any help!

McDougal said:
There are currently two 'wave' ovens that I see advertised frequently on TV. Does anyone know which is better Flavor Wave vs. Nu Wave. Are these even worth buying? Does anyone own either and do they perform as advertised; Are they really that easy to operate (one seems to have more buttons like a micro. and one seems to be a knob with a couple of keys to operate) and clean up, as well as being odorless, as advertised. I am very skeptical of products advertised on infomercials, because I suspect that a lot these products do not perform as miraculously as indicated. However, in the same theme of a toaster oven over a microwave, I would love to find an appliance I can use when cooking small portions or frozen products without having to clean three different pots and pans using a conventional cook top and oven, that doesn't leave food tasting like a microwave made meal. If no one can recommend one of these TV ovens, are there similar 'countertop' wave ovens sold at any appliance stores that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any help!

I own the Flavor Wave Convection Oven. The Nu Wave is pretty much the same. Maybe a few cosmetic details might set the two apart, but basically, things are the same between the two.

And it DOES cook real well and fast! Cleanup is a snap! Just put all parts except the power head in the dishwasher.

Yes, you're right! A lot of those products that you see on those infommercials often DON'T work like the manufacturer claims, so you must be very careful on the products that might catch your eye.

But this product does work.

Thanks Corey123

Thanks Corey123 for the information and reply regarding your good experience with the Flavor Wave, it was reassuring. Now, I am just trying to figure out which to buy, The Flavor Wave or NuWave, maybe I should base it on how much of the "...but wait there's more" junk that comes with it!

McDougal, I saw the NuWave Convection Oven in an infommercial early this morning that aired on the Food Network. It sells for about $150.00 or less.

Last edited:
I have the Flavorwave Deluxe

......for about 4 years now. It works great. I especially like cookings chicken parts in it. Comes out crispy like deep fried chicken....minus the grease!

I ordered it with the "Rush" delivery option and they made the mistake of sending me two.......one by rush maail and the other by standard. Only got charged for one :-p

I gave the second one as a birthday present for someone and made them a happy camper :pig:

:)I had been thinking of getting an roaster oven but decided againts it as whats the point if it doesnt really roast.So I did all my homework yesterday and settled on the Nu-Wave Pro.After reading all the reviews on all the NuWaves and Flavor Waves on Amazon I decided to get this one as its the biggest one you are supposed to be able to cook a 16 # Turkey.Including the Nu-Wave I got 2 extender rings,oven mitts 2 cookbooks or really just brochures,tongs and poultry shears.All for $139.99 plus free shipping plus no tax since its out of state I figured that was a great deal.

Thanks for any help!

I own the Nuwave Pro Infrared Oven and can tell you that it is superior to the Flavorwave Deluxe because of the way it produces the Far Infrared for cooking. The Flavorwave Deluxe lights up by using a halogen bulb (glass in a cooking area - not good) and because it lights up, you know you are getting near infrared and not Far Infrared. It is the Far Infrared that is much more efficient for cooking and what professional chefs use (check out professional infrared ovens on the web). Check out reveiws of both ovens on the web, the people who have had there Flavorwave Deluxe ovens have flare ups or melt downs. That doesn't happen with the Nuwave because it produces the heat and the infrared with a sheath heater coated with a ceramic emitter. It won't break like glass and it won't flare up like the halogen which burns at 1,600 degrees F (you don't need all of that heat). Check out the two cooking charts available on their respective web sites and you will see that the Nuwave Infrared Oven cooks faster than the Flavorwave Deluxe.

It has a smaller carbon footprint as well. You can save up to 85% of the energy use compared to a regular oven.:chef:

I hope that this information helps.

:)i just got a nuwave and Im quite pleased at how good it works it is fast it makes great ribs they way I like them crusty on the outside.

I use the Nu-Wave several times a week because it works fast and well. No defrosting or pre-heating, and I think it makes healthier food. Fat drips off. I don't use the dishwasher because it would trake too much room, but it's easy to clean in the sink.

Flavor Wave vs. Nu Wave

Which to buy? Yes, that is the question.

When the Flavor Wave came out in 2000, I did purchase one. Now, the Nu Wave looks almost identical to the original Flavor Wave model.

The Nu Wave also has the same drawbacks as the original Flavor Wave model. The one, most over riding concern you will discover with these machines is the clean-up. No joke.

Here is why: Look closely at the bottom drip pan in the Nu Wave. It is a circular pan about 1" deep and approx 12" in diameter. It is coated with non-stick to make clean-up easier. Watch out. That coating is absolutely micro-thin and starts to peel off after the third use. The other clean-up item is the rack itself. Same problem. Food then sticks to the rack and clean up is a absolute drudge. You bought this thing to make your kitchen life easier. Not this. Cooking spray does not help much. (I use my machine to cook hot wings alot.)

Do both machines cook like on the infomercial? YES. Love it. Especially the frozen (I forgot to defrost before going to work and leave it on the counter) steaks! (IF your dieting low carb, this thing is a frozen steak or frozen hockey puck hamburger cooking dream.)

I have even found it cooks those crescent rolls from a tube very well. (Many compliments at Thanksgiving.)

These newer machines now include a bright halogen bulb to brown and crisp foods. Very nice.

I would rate each machine about dead even in terms of cooking and such, but the clean-up and sticking food problem will be your determining factor.

Flavor Wave, now advertising with Mr. T, has clearly learned from their earlier models. The lower portion is now a plexiglass bowl and can try to clean it's self, or just put into dishwasher. IMHO this single factor for ease of cleaning makes it the winner. If you put the metal bottom pan in the dishwasher, the plastic tines on the dishwasher rack will scratch off the coating on the pan during washing.

Also, the rack for Flavor Wave appears to be stainless steel, not the same black one that they used in the past (and NuWave is using now). Cleaning that old black rack SUCKS! Like to clean your outdoor grill surface? Same thing.

I hope my experience with the original Flavor Wave (which the NuWave appears to be identical to) is benificial for you.

Go with the glass bowl Flavor Wave (Mr. T) product. In the end, I believe you will be happier.

~ Usual disclaimer: I have nothing to do with either company. No financial incentive, yada, yada, yada. I have owned the original Flavor Wave (which looks like the NuWave now) for 5+ years now and am going to buy the updated version (glass bowl). The task of clean up was so discouraging, I really stopped using it alot. Nice to see the new updated version. Don't get suckered by the NuWave or you'll be doing alot of cleaning. The NuWave is a good cooker. However, All that oils and grease from your food really does come out. (and then burns onto that metal bottom pan and rack.) I want convenience- in cooking, and clean up.

My .02

Nu Wave Oven

I use the Nu Wave oven several times a week. As someone said, a drawback is the cleaning of it. However I let the rack and the pan soak after using it, and then they clean easily. Another drawback is that the plastic cover can crack. I'm on my second one, but each one lasted more than a year. However the thing cooks great and cooks from frozen. I love the chicken it makes; crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, with the fat having dripped off. It cooks perfectly from frozen in forty minutes. (I spray the pieces with butter spray and season with season salt and pepper) - very fast, simple, and delicious.

I have a nuwave and love it I use it every meal. I have used these ovens since the early 90's back then they were call rapid air ovens and were designed like the new flavor wave oven. The only difference is the infrared light. I also bought a jet stream and do not recommend it. the difference I have found in the two are while the flavor wave is glass and heavy though cooks great, the nuwave is made of a plastic material and more light weight. I prefer the nuwave for its ability to disassemble and place in the diswasher. the flavor wave lid holds the motor and has to be wiped clean as the nuwave motor detaches from the lid. as far as cooking they are the same but for me the cleaning the of the nuwave is more convient. also it comes with an extender ring where I can cook a whole turkey not just a turkey breast... while the nuwave cost more its the best 150.00 I spent since I like to cook in 30 minutes or less...

:)I had been thinking of getting an roaster oven but decided againts it as whats the point if it doesnt really roast.So I did all my homework yesterday and settled on the Nu-Wave Pro.After reading all the reviews on all the NuWaves and Flavor Waves on Amazon I decided to get this one as its the biggest one you are supposed to be able to cook a 16 # Turkey.Including the Nu-Wave I got 2 extender rings,oven mitts 2 cookbooks or really just brochures,tongs and poultry shears.All for $139.99 plus free shipping plus no tax since its out of state I figured that was a great deal.

I saw the infomercial for Nuwave yesterday and was THIS close to calling...but wanted to read some reviews on here, from active posters, first.

nuwave/ flavorwave

i had the nuwave... terrible product it cracked straight down the plastic container, it started out as a tiny hairline that eventually turned into 3 hairlines ((eventhough we tipped the coutainer slightly so the heat could get out) the nuwave worked wonders but as soon as it did a tiny crack, it became huge and eventually broke right in half, we have just recieved the flavorwave which works amazingly, no cracks yet and cooks much more thourough and quicker :) just thought id let ya in on my experiances

Ok, I see that several of you have had these products,,so are you still happy with the products???? I am confused, I want a well made product.

I am thinking of buying one of these ovens, too. With our "empty nest" they might be a good alternative to the big oven for just my husband and me. I appreciate this forum and everyone who has posted.

Flavor-Wave Turbo

I would not wast my money on that junk it you want a good one get on Amazon.com and get a Flavor-Wave Turbo they are glass and not the cheep plastic. I have on and I just love it.

Thanks for any help!

I would not wast my money on that junk it you want a good one get on Amazon.com and get a Flavor-Wave Turbo they are glass and not the cheep plastic. I have on and I just love it.

The person you are replying to has not been active since 3-23-07.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom