Opinions for uses of convection oven, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DawnT

Sous Chef
I just got my convection oven and have not baked anything...reason being too many cooks in the family tree with opinions. I really want an outside voice of reason(?)! Can I bake cakes and cookies with the convection?:chef:

Yes! Although I'm no expert, we've only had a convection oven for a few months. Every thing we have baked has turned out wonderfully, though. It does seem to cook a tiny bit faster, I'm still learning to get used to it. The directions say to set the temp 25 degrees lower than the recipe calls for. We have the option to use a regular oven or a convection oven, so I've been testing the convection oven slowly.

Thanks notjustamom, mine is also a combo, but I want to use the convection as much as possible right now until I know whats what

I've heard the cooking time is roughly 25% less - - - - was any of this covered with any information that came with your oven?

DawnT, I don't have a convection oven myself, but my very good friend has one and uses it almost solely for baking. So its a big YES. Did you keep the instruction manual? It will give specific directions in there for how to use it for baking. Enjoy!

frigidaire was a little lax in their packing of the materials that were to be shipped with range. We got the manual on the stove top...

frigidaire was a little lax in their packing of the materials that were to be shipped with range. We got the manual on the stove top...

You definitely should go back to the store or contact the manufacturer for the manual. Convection ovens have their own unique features and you should know what they are. Convection cooking is great for cookies and cakes.

I am trying to learn as I go?!? Hopefully my printer won't run out of paper before i get all the oven info!!

I use the convection setting most of the time. The savings in time is most pronounced if the cooking time is long. I've noticed very little difference with cookies and cakes. I usually check about 5-10 minutes early. The more you use it, the more familiar you will be with when to start checking.

I'd love a convection oven. Def use it!

In culinary school classes we used convestion ovens and all our baked goods finished faster. It's important to get a handle on how much faster that is so that you don't overcook things.

I am no expert but my convection is good for cookies and roasts. Anything that is in a flat type pan.

Last thanksgiving we cooked a turkey in one at my brothers. It was great!! cooked all the way through but the bird remained nice an juicy with a great golden skin. It took much less time to cook than with a conventional oven.

ITA with Jeff. My turkeys come out great and much faster. Also, Elaine is correct, use shallow pans with no lids. I'm sure you are going to like it.

Back
Top Bottom