Opinions on Food Processor - Blender Combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My aunt wanted my opinion on THIS combo unit. I had never used it so I could not give her first hand info, but my feeling is that when you combine two units into one there is usually a compromise somewhere that is made. she had decided to go with separate units.

I am just wondering now if anyone has any first hand experience with this thing and what you think of it.

I don't know how the power compares to a real FP or blender. I suspect it's not as powerful.

I did notice that it's fairly small in capacity. You probably couldn't do normal sized recipes in it. It will probably work well for slicing and dicing, etc.

GB:

One bit of advice on a blender from Cuisinart be it a blender or a combo thing like this that is using the blender base...I had one of these and there is a design defect and I ended up tossing mine in the trash after the first few uses. On the base of the blender (the motor unit) there are some teeth that spin...when you put the jar on the base these teeth spin the blade in the jar. Well on most blenders including Oster and KitchenAid and most every other blender that I have seen, these teeth made out of hard rubber. On the Cuisinart, it is made of PLASTIC and the first time you try to rip into a decent amount of ice, those teeth shred! I called for warranty repair and they will fix it alright...with another thing with plastic teeth. Cuisinart knows about this...and has not changed the design on this blender for several years. You can see many complaints from people on Amazon that have had the same issue with this blender:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00000JGRR/ref=dp_nav_1/103-6169125-5407831?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen

My advice: STAY FAR AWAY!!!

I have this unit. I bought it, refurbished, from Le Gourmet Chef for 50 bucks, after smoking (literally) the Hamilton Beach blender/food processor my former S.O. left behind. I've had it for about 2 years now, and I use it extensively for making smoothies/protein drinks with lots of ice and frozen fruits, and for food processing like chopping, slicing, dicing, and for making fresh bread crumbs. It has never given me a problem of any kind, and it is much more powerful than the Hamilton-Beach unit was.

I have the Hamilton Beach one, I think I got it at Kmart a few years ago for around $40. No problems yet--I couldn't find the little adapter piece that gets put on the shaft but they sent me another at no charge.

GB, we have the Cuisinart one, not sure if it's the exact same model. This is the ONE appliance in the house that DH bought w/o me. :neutral:

It's decent. We use it mostly as a blender. I would vote for this appliance IF the person who owns it doesn't cook a lot or want use the FP option very often. DH bought it because I wanted a blender and we didn't have the FP, so he figured it'd save $$ in the long run. It didn't, we ended up getting a full sized FP and I want the Warring Pro blender, but can't get it now cuz we have this one...
I don't like the FP part. For some reason, I think it doesn't cut as evenly as the bigger model. Maybe it's due to the size or maybe it's just in my head. As a blender, it's good, chops ice wonderfully. Though the machine is actually kind of loud.

GB said:
My aunt wanted my opinion on THIS combo unit. I had never used it so I could not give her first hand info, but my feeling is that when you combine two units into one there is usually a compromise somewhere that is made. she had decided to go with separate units.

I am just wondering now if anyone has any first hand experience with this thing and what you think of it.

Yes, I'd say that there would be a compromise.

Your aunt would be getting a powerful blender, but on the other hand, i think she would be getting a weak food processor. If she isn't into heavy cooking that involves using a more powerful food processor, then she migfht do alright.:ermm:

Otherwise, I suggest getting a more powerful Cuisinart food processor. But they really DO last. I've had my Cuisinart DLC-7Pro machine for almost a whopping 20 years! And it's still going strong.:chef:

~Corey123.

I have the Cuisinart version. I'm happy enough with it, but if I had to buy again, it would be a full-size food processor and forget the blender. I don't use the latter much (maybe 2 or 3 times in 5 years), and often wish I had a full size food processor rather than the small one. Everything the blender can do, I can do by hand. On the other hand, the food processor isn't roomy enough for a good batch of cole slaw, and pesto when the basil comes in requires many batches.

Back
Top Bottom