Oven Breakdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
Today was the day I decided to do cookies. I mixed up my dough for press cookies and had the dough all divided and colored and ready to bake. I had the oven preheating while I mixed. The first 2 trays came out wonderful. The second 2 trays the top one baked fine but the lower one was not done at all! After several times of switching the trays around to get them to bake, I wondered why they were not cooking well. Turns out the bottom heating element wasn't working! By this time it is late afternoon and the appliance stores are all closed. DH took out the old one and checked the electricity. He figured it was just the element. So I continued and just used to top rack for a few trays. Then, the whole stove shut off! I shorted out the breaker with one of lower element wires hitting the oven floor. So now I am without an oven. I did manage to get most of the cookies baked. I burned 2 trays from the top but the others came out okay. DH managed to get the stovetop working so everything else will have to be stove top cooked. I was so looking forward a new breakfast casserole dish for tomorrow. Now it will just be scrambled eggs. Maybe we can get the thing fixed before New Year's. We really need a new stove but have no money at the moment for a new one. Will have to start watching the sales.

so sorry for your plight. hard to cook without an oven. at least for me it is.

mine is 25 degrees off so i adjust accordingly.

do u have a toaster oven for egg dish. maybe could use crock pot

babe

My toaster oven is on it's way out too. I asked for a new one for Christmas so maybe that will work if I get it! We'll be traveling during the week so after tomorrow I won't have to worry about cooking. Then when we get back, we'll see about getting it fixed.

Today was the day I decided to do cookies. I mixed up my dough for press cookies and had the dough all divided and colored and ready to bake. I had the oven preheating while I mixed. The first 2 trays came out wonderful. The second 2 trays the top one baked fine but the lower one was not done at all! After several times of switching the trays around to get them to bake, I wondered why they were not cooking well. Turns out the bottom heating element wasn't working! By this time it is late afternoon and the appliance stores are all closed. DH took out the old one and checked the electricity. He figured it was just the element. So I continued and just used to top rack for a few trays. Then, the whole stove shut off! I shorted out the breaker with one of lower element wires hitting the oven floor. So now I am without an oven. I did manage to get most of the cookies baked. I burned 2 trays from the top but the others came out okay. DH managed to get the stovetop working so everything else will have to be stove top cooked. I was so looking forward a new breakfast casserole dish for tomorrow. Now it will just be scrambled eggs. Maybe we can get the thing fixed before New Year's. We really need a new stove but have no money at the moment for a new one. Will have to start watching the sales.

Boy!!

That's really a bummer - specially during the holidays! Couldn't have come at a worst time!

Do you have a countertop oven that you can use for the time being? I heard that some store chains may be open tomorrow. maybe you can run out and get something to carry you over for now.

That's hard. My old stove recently broke, but that was a blessing. i was waiting for that to happened. i hated the darn thing. So when i was looking for the new one I went to this applience mart. They sell thing that are scratched or banged a bit. Perfectly new stove, with waranty and everything. Couple of scratches or something for half the price. Of course it is not store like selection, you get what they have, but prices are awesome. If money is a problem, when is it not, I recomend to see if you have something like that in your area.

There is a place like that around here but as you say the selection is limited. It has to be a drop-in since htat is what is there now and I can't afford to have the cabinets re-done to fit a different stove. Thankfully, we are going out to eat tonight (my son the hibachi chef is cooking for us at his restaurant) and we leave in the morning for my in-laws. We were to host my family when we got back into town but my sister graciously offered to host since my oven broke. So we have time to figure it out. The pressure is off for the time being. Thanks for listening to a mad woman's rantings.

Back
Top Bottom