"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Oven broiler doesn't work

I haven't been able to use the broiler for 8 years. 8 years!!!!!! I either have to call in a repair guy, buy a new oven, or find an alternative. Would a toaster oven be a decent alternative for someone who doesn't need a broiler often?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sure. When I have a small amount to broil, I often use the broiler in my toaster oven rather than turn on the big oven. It works fine.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Cook

That's just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks much.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Master Chef

I use my toaster oven's broiler, too. In fact, I find that more and more I'm using my toaster oven when I don't need a big "box". Such as, a 5# chicken will fit into my TO, anything bigger won't. Hence, I buy a small chicken. My 6-count jumbo muffin pan doesn't fit, but a loaf pan fits and bakes up just as tasty of a quick bread as the muffins would be. If you're cooking for just you, you can probably figure out all sorts of things you could do with the TO so you don't have to use your big oven.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use my TO more than I use my big oven. It broils nicely.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Cook

This is the best news I've had in a while. I have run across recipes that made my mouth water until I ran across "pop under the broiler".

I will spend money on a good one if anyone has any recommendations. The thing has to last for a long time if well cared for. Most appliances made these days are made to quit working after a short time and be thrown away so you will buy new. Makes me crazy.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm in love with my Breville TO. Not cheap by any stretch, but good quality.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

How long have you had yours, Dawg? I kinda remember you, PF, and pac (man, I miss that guy...) all getting Brevilles around the same time. I'm already planning for the demise of my current Cuisinart - she's at least 10 years old. My next TO will be a little bit bigger than my current one, too.

I hear you on the short life span of newer appliances, Liz. The cost more, they last less, and it seems there are fewer choices.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
How long have you had yours, Dawg? I kinda remember you, PF, and pac (man, I miss that guy...) all getting Brevilles around the same time. I'm already planning for the demise of my current Cuisinart - she's at least 10 years old. My next TO will be a little bit bigger than my current one, too.

I hear you on the short life span of newer appliances, Liz. The cost more, they last less, and it seems there are fewer choices.
I have to disagree with you. Goddess. I find that appliances are way less costly these days than they were when I grew up. These days they are simply not made to last more than a few years. The most expensive imported ones are the worst because when they break parts are not available.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm in love with my Breville TO. Not cheap by any stretch, but good quality.

I looked them up. They are works of art. I think that I'd be better off calling in the appliance repair man so I can use the broiler in my gas oven,

Tags
oil, oven