Oven broiler doesn't work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
I haven't been able to use the broiler for 8 years. 8 years!!!!!! I either have to call in a repair guy, buy a new oven, or find an alternative. Would a toaster oven be a decent alternative for someone who doesn't need a broiler often?

I use my toaster oven's broiler, too. In fact, I find that more and more I'm using my toaster oven when I don't need a big "box". Such as, a 5# chicken will fit into my TO, anything bigger won't. Hence, I buy a small chicken. My 6-count jumbo muffin pan doesn't fit, but a loaf pan fits and bakes up just as tasty of a quick bread as the muffins would be. If you're cooking for just you, you can probably figure out all sorts of things you could do with the TO so you don't have to use your big oven.

I use my TO more than I use my big oven. It broils nicely.

This is the best news I've had in a while. I have run across recipes that made my mouth water until I ran across "pop under the broiler".

I will spend money on a good one if anyone has any recommendations. The thing has to last for a long time if well cared for. Most appliances made these days are made to quit working after a short time and be thrown away so you will buy new. Makes me crazy.

I'm in love with my Breville TO. Not cheap by any stretch, but good quality.

How long have you had yours, Dawg? I kinda remember you, PF, and pac (man, I miss that guy...) all getting Brevilles around the same time. I'm already planning for the demise of my current Cuisinart - she's at least 10 years old. My next TO will be a little bit bigger than my current one, too.

I hear you on the short life span of newer appliances, Liz. The cost more, they last less, and it seems there are fewer choices.

How long have you had yours, Dawg? I kinda remember you, PF, and pac (man, I miss that guy...) all getting Brevilles around the same time. I'm already planning for the demise of my current Cuisinart - she's at least 10 years old. My next TO will be a little bit bigger than my current one, too.

I hear you on the short life span of newer appliances, Liz. The cost more, they last less, and it seems there are fewer choices.

I have to disagree with you. Goddess. I find that appliances are way less costly these days than they were when I grew up. These days they are simply not made to last more than a few years. The most expensive imported ones are the worst because when they break parts are not available.

I have to disagree with you. Goddess. I find that appliances are way less costly these days than they were when I grew up...
Then my problem must be buying higher-end products now than I did "back then". :whistling: I guess I figure my appliances need to increase in quality and function just as my cooking skills have grown over the years. :LOL: I suppose it's my little way of rewarding myself for cooking "fancy". Or, at least, cooking.

I love my Breville, so many uses, it's used at least twice a week. Yep, a bit pricey, but it is a workhorse.

I'm going to keep my eye on the Breville for when my much used Cuisinart TO bites the dust. It's around 8 years old. I use it a couple of times a week and it's still going strong.

Like you Liz, I live alone - toaster ovens are great! Especially here in the desert when it's 110+ in the summer. :ohmy: I'll go days, even weeks, without turning on the big oven.

Back
Top Bottom